Aspen High School Hires Recently Released Champ Bailey as New Head Football Coach

Matthew Sovich, Staff Writer

Champ Bailey gets into his coaching mindset during a game in which he was injured last season.

Aspen High will be joining selective company when they officially introduce former All Pro and future Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey as the new head football coach. Aspen will join Valor Christian High as the only high school programs in the state with ex-professional football player’s as coaches. With this hiring, Aspen has demoted Ryan Trice to equipment manger.

“I don’t get it; I mean sure he played in the NFL, but the guys never coached. He doesn’t understand the pressure that comes from being a coach at the high school level,” said a baffled Ryan Triece.

Athletic Director Carol Sams felt differently. She felt Bailey was a perfect fit.

“It’s a proven fact that hiring ex-NFL players creates winning teams. Just look at Valor; they hired ex-NFLer Brian Dawkins and all of a sudden they’re really good,” said Carol Sams

After being told he would be cut because he is just too old, Champ fell into a whirlwind depression. He didn’t believe he would ever be around the game again. That was until Carol Sams contacted him with the opportunity of a lifetime. She offered him the head-coaching job at AHS. Bailey was ecstatic.

“When I got the call I began to cry. It’s the kind of job you spend your whole life dreaming about. It truly was a dream come true for me,” said Bailey.

The reaction from the locker room was surprisingly mixed. Many of Aspen’s players didn’t believe he had it in him.

“He’s washed up, and brittle. I don’t think he’s got what it takes to lead such a powerhouse program. We need a true leader and that’s what Ryan Triece gave us,” said junior Evan Morris.

There were some that believed Champ had it in him though.

“Sure he’s old and got burned in the Super Bowl, but I still believe he’s strong at heart. He’s been around the game long enough to understand pretty well I guess,” said junior Tyler Tick.

With the odds seemingly stacked against him, Champ Bailey will take the reins at Aspen High School next season. Let’s just hope he doesn’t run it right into the ground.