AHS Makes a Big Change for Math Department

Photo by Tess Schaftel

Although Mr. Ketchum, previously known as Coach K, misses nausset and pickle ball, he is loving his new position as a math teacher.

This upcoming 2014-2015 school year, Aspen High School is enforcing its “Only Math” program. This initiative is designed to make sure Aspen kids never fall behind in their math studies and always stay at least four grade levels ahead. Their schedule will consist of eight math periods with a twenty-five minute lunch every day.

Math Teacher Eileen Kozlowski is a strong supporter of this new program and is extremely enthusiastic about being able to spend all day with her students.

“We are going to have so much fun!!!” Kozlowski exclaimed. “I am just so excited to be able to teach my favorite students all day, every day.”

AHS sophomore Madi Cheo is also a huge fan of this change because she has always been a math person as opposed to grammar, spelling, reading, and writing.

“I have always done real bad at english so imma have a easy time next year with all this math classes!” Cheo said confidently.

As exciting as this is for many students, the faculty at AHS is just as excited. “I am so happy with this change! I can’t imagine a time in our students future where they might ever need strong communication skills,” English teacher Elizabeth Severy said. “I have always dreamed of teaching fractions, and my dream is finally coming true.”

Principal Kim Martin is all about keeping her students ahead of their competition.

“I’ve been hearing that this next century will be all about math, so naturally I must keep my students ahead of the competition. I think all this exposure to math is just what my students need to push them ahead of the competition,” Martin said. “Whether it’s the SAT’s, ACT’s, or TCAP’s, my students will be getting perfect scores in the math sections, because that’s the only subject that matters right?”