Students Disappointed TCAP is over

Photo by Kim Sandbach

Sophomore Katherine Doherty waits in a long line outside the couseling office hoping they will cure her depression because the TCAPs ended.

The line outside the counseling office at AHS has been unusually long lately due to the fact that 77% of students have fallen into a depression since the TCAP has ended. Counselors Josh Berro and Emily Weingart don’t know how to deal with the air of sadness in the school. Kids have been moping around the hallways depressed that classes are returning back to normal and they won’t get to see another TCAP booklet until the beginning of next year.

Since the beginning of the year, teachers have been instructed by Principal Kim Martin to give their students new TCAP booklets each day so they can memorize the problems that could potentially be on the TCAP. After they finish sports practice and other after school activities, students race home to finish their fifty-page booklet for the day.

“I love being able to do my TCAP booklet after school. Because it takes up all of my time, I don’t have to watch TV or even eat dinner,” Sophomore Brooke Pisani said.

To fix the spread of depression, the counseling department is offering kids weeklong cruises if they sign a waiver promising not to practice or even think about the TCAP.

“Since the school’s depression is spreading, this is the only thing we can think of to get their mind off the test. We are not sure this will work, but anything will help,” counselor Josh Berro said.

Depression is not the only problem surrounding the TCAP; the Booster Club has no standardized tests to provide snacks for.

“I wish students were always as hungry as they are during TCAP and the PLAN test,” booster club leader Mary Ryerson said.

The teachers are also very disappointed that these exciting tests are over. They no longer get to sit in a classroom for three hours without engaging with their class.

“It’s going to be a very hard transition to engage with my students again, I don’t even know I remember how to teach a regular class,” AHS math teacher said.

As the counselors try to end the sadness and depression of the students in the school, the kids just cant help but think about how excited they are for the TCAPs to start again next year.