The Rise of “After School” in AHS

Photo by Lucas Velasquez

AHS student scrolls through the ‘After School’ app in the library.

The world of social media is growing all around us. With apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, we can connect to people in a totally different way. But another social media app “After School” is becoming really popular at our school.

After School is a social networking app last updated on November 11, 2015. People who use the app can post confessions, funny stories, and more under an anonymous account, but only if you have an account with Facebook. Some people can agree that posting anonymously is pretty cool. Students can now say the things they’ve been dying to tell people. For example, people can tell someone that they’ve had a crush on them for years. Or, some choose to post things that relate to a lot of us like, how being tired is just part of a teenager’s job description.

Even though posting anonymously has its perks, it can be used badly in the wrong hands. “My concern is that it might be another avenue for bullying.” said counselor Mary Cate Hauenstein. Since pretty much everything on the app is anonymous, students may take the opportunity to bully someone on After School, knowing that they won’t get caught.  

So, even though this app is decreasing in popularity, may the tiger with sunglasses be on our phones for a couple of weeks or, at least until we’re obsessed with some new social media app.