The Six Best Food Trends of 2016
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
As 2017 rolls in it’s time to greet some new food trends. To prepare, I decided to revisit the past food trends that characterized 2016. Amongst these innovative food items were giant wheels of cheese, cakes that looked out of this world, and even milkshakes covered with various crazy toppings. Below are the best food trend of 2016.
1.Raclette: This huge wheel of cheese is melted and scraped on to the meal you are eating. It is usually served over meat and potatoes. Occasionally, it is pre-melted in a pan and used as a dip for meats and vegetables.
- Rolled Ice Cream: I first glimpsed this wacky creation in my Instagram feed. As I watched more and more people buying this creative dessert, it perked my interest. Rolled Ice Cream is basically exactly what it sounds like. Normal ice cream is rolled, and then put in a cup with various toppings. To make this dessert different flavors of milk are poured on an incredibly cold metal circle. As it starts to freeze, metal spatulas are used to scrape and roll the ice cream. Finally it is put in a cup with toppings and chocolate drizzle.
- Avocado Toast: Avocado has started to become more and more popular. People are now using it for buns and putting it on toast. There are so many interesting ways that people do this. Some will add some with olive oil and red pepper flakes,while others incorporate grilled corn. No matter how you dress your avocado toast, it is delicious.
- Matcha Ice Cream: This creamy dessert is made with Matcha Green Tea powder, which has recently been all over Instagram. It can be mixed into smoothies, and put in all types of desserts cakes, cupcakes, and even mousse, but my favorite is ice cream. It most commonly is called green tea ice cream, but no matter what you call it it is sure to hit your sweet spot.
5. Galaxy Cakes: This take on a normal cake will quite literally blow your taste buds out of this world. With different frosting colors and edible stars you will truly feel like you’re up in space. To fashion this edible masterpiece, cake bakers take a round cake and drizzle different dark colored frostings all over it before using white frosting to represent starts.
6. Freakshakes: This tasty take on the classic milkshake is on a whole other level. In most places, they take crazy toppings and chocolate and put that on the rim of the glass and then make a milkshake followed by a trendy topping.