AHS Spring Sports Lead to Victory

From March through late May, AHS spring sports athletes focus on their techniques and tactics in the short spring season. During the past couple of weeks, student athletes have been traveling all over the state to compete in events representing the Aspen Skiers.

Girls Golf:   Aspen Girls Golf team recently competed at regionals in Parachute. Sophomore Zoe Guthrie will be competing at the state tournament in Broomfield on May 22.

“I was playing in the 3A regionals golf tournament with two other players,” Guthrie said. “The requirements to go to states were the top two teams, and then the top 13 players after that. So it was a total of the top 21 players and I was nineteenth.”

Guthrie said that golf team saw a large turnover this season but that the new members were quick to catch on.

“We had a lot of new players this year to the golf team that were very new to the game but overall I think that the new players improved immensely and had a lot of fun learning about it,’’ Guthrie said.

Photo Courtesy of Donald Buchholz
Zoe Guthrie hitting at regionals.

Girls Tennis: AHS girls tennis team won regionals in Grand Junction, and more than half of the student athletes qualified for the state tournament in Greeley. Junior Grace Ferguson said that the Aspen Skiers beat Steamboat, and that is a big deal for the team.

“Steamboat has won regionals the past 12 years,” Ferguson said. “We are excited for states and are looking forward to some tough competition.” 

Photo Courtesy of Leslie Citron.
Junior Grace Ferguson playing doubles at regionals in Grand Junction.

Boys Baseball:  The AHS Boys baseball team had several wins and losses, but learned a lot throughout the season. On May 4, the Aspen varsity baseball team won the away conference game against Grand Valley by a score of 13-0. Then following that was the May 6 loss to Moffat County, 11-9.  This year the team has had the most wins in 10 years, a total of seven wins! Junior Charlie Guilander said that the team dynamic was good and had positive energy and bonding throughout the season.

“I would say the team chemistry was amazing this year especially because of our only senior, Harry Kahn, who brought everyone together,” Guilander said. He added that next season the Skiers have a great chance of making the playoffs.

Photo Courtesy of Leah Moriarty.
Skiers celebrate the victory after a winning home run.

Boys Lacrosse:  The AHS Boys Lacrosse team won a game against Telluride on April 29. Throughout the season, the team is 11-4 and are ranked No. 7 in this year’s tournament. Junior Niko Cesark says that the team has been great with defense but needs work with the offense plays. Teammate, junior RJ Peshek, added that they are working hard this year, but have a long way to go before the State tournament.

Photo Courtesy of Niko Cesark
Aspen players fighting for the win.

Girls Lacrosse: Aspen High School’s Girls Lacrosse team is undefeated in the 4A league and 13th in the state. Junior Jane Marolt said that their first game in the state playoffs is scheduled for Wed, May 10.

Photo Courtesy Leah Moriarty.
Junior Ashley Soderberg taking the ball to the goal.

Girls Soccer: AHS varsity soccer ladies are on their way to the State Playoffs after their big 5-2 against Basalt.  Junior Chelsea Moore said that the soccer team as a whole as grown throughout the spring season.

“Our team has really developed this well in terms of skill, and spirit,” Moore said. “We have an amazing team vibe and teamwork that has carried us through the season and States too. The varsity team is going to States in Boulder against Middle Park on May 12.”

Photo Courtesy of Leah Moriarty
Chelsea Moore kicking the ball in her home field.

Track and Field:  AHS Track and Field student athletes competed in regionals on May 6. The Boys relay team and Sunday Abarca qualified for the state meet in Denver. On May 13, all of the athletes who didn’t qualify for states will compete again for another go at qualifying. Senior Adair Patillo said that she will be competing, but she is bummed because of such a short season that was shortened due to snow and bad weather.