Aspen Girls Varsity Tennis Serves Up a Solid Season

Senior captain Caroline Godfrey serving up some heat at a recent tournament.

After finishing for the second year in a row in a stellar third place position at regionals, the Aspen High School Girls’ Varsity tennis team is looking towards the future.  The squad demonstrated strong, steady growth this year after ending the season with a league record of 3-1 and an overall record of 3-4. The team finished third in conference.

At regionals, which took place in Grand Junction from April 30 through March 2, the first doubles team qualified for a spot at states after beating teams from fourteen different schools around Colorado.  The qualifying duo of sophomore Olivia Carr and senior Kelsey Ward, will be traveling to Pueblo for the state tournament.

“Playing in Grand Junction at regionals, my partner Kelsey Ward and I had one of the best days of our lives,” said Carr. ”We came in second overall in the tournament and are really excited for Pueblo.”

Although no other AHS players qualified for states, senior captain Caroline Godfrey took home third place for first singles, and Caroline DeRosa earned the fourth place spot for second singles.

As always, the team held practices throughout the season at the Maroon Creek Club under the guidance of head coach Scott Dorais, and coaches Steve Sand and Kenny Sawer.

Next year’s team will be losing four key seniors who have participated in the girls’ tennis program since their freshman year, including captain Caroline Godfrey and Caroline DeRosa. Yet the future of Aspen girls’ tennis is still hopeful.

“There is a solid group of juniors. I have no worry about their success in the future,”   said senior Caroline DeRosa. “But the hope is that the team will get some new, talented players for next year.”

Olivia Carr, the sophomore component of the state qualifying first doubles team, is also expected to be a leader on next year’s squad .

“She’s a really strong player,” said Godfrey.  “I have high hopes that Olivia will support the team in the years to come.”

Head coach Scott Dorais is feeling encouraged by his team’s performance this year.  While he realizes that the team will be losing their top four singles players next year, he is confident that the current JV girls will rise to the occasion next year and form a solid squad.

“We’ll be fairly young next year,” said head coach Dorais. ”But we have a committed group of young sophomores and freshmen that contributed to the JV team and are eager to play and succeed next year.”

However, head coach Dorais isn’t the only member of the team looking forward through an optimistic lense.

“There are loads of freshmen excited to play next year,” added Godfrey. “I think the team definitely has room for growth.”