AHS Earth Club: Working Towards a Waste Free School

Photo by Tatum Diemer

AHS Earth Club Reusable Water Station

Throughout the last decade, global warming has gained lots of attention around the world, beginning to alarm people about the effects of humanity on our planet. As the human population keeps producing waste and other harmful substances with no end in sight, many people have begun to fight back against global warming.

AHS science teacher, Travis Moore, believes that everyone must work to preserve and protect the Earth. Moore started the AHS Earth Club, which has helped to cut down waste and has established water refill stations around the school.

“The Earth Club works to improve our school’s ecological footprint, we are trying to leave less of an impact on the Earth, as a school, and as a student body. We are using recycling methods and working on getting the composting going again. Having set up the water refill station we are trying to reduce the amount of plastic that is being sold in the cafeteria and are generally working to become close to waste-free,” Moore said.

Although the Earth Club mainly works to create a cleaner, waste-free school, its members also work to teach others how to help preserve the environment.

“Another mission of ours is to educate the student’s body. So we have students who volunteer to go into the freshman seminar classes and teach about recycling, composting, and reducing/reusing. As well as doing some community outreach and connecting with other schools and people in our community to try and understand what is working in other places, and how we can implement those ideas at AHS,” Moore said.

Head boy at AHS and senior Earth Club member, Ricky Wojcik, feels that the club has achieved many of their goals in the past, such as establishing clean water refill stations around the school and will continue to achieve more in the future.

“Throughout my time in Earth Club, the group has accomplished a lot around the school, from teaching other students about the Earth and how to protect it, to cutting down the use of plastic in the cafe. In the future, we hope to turn AHS into a more eco-friendly school, cutting down waste altogether. I would definitely recommend the Earth Club to any students who feel that the Earth is important, it is very fun and we are always looking for new members,” Wojcik said.

Taylor Gurtman, a sophomore at AHS, feels that the Earth Club has helped to teach her about the importance of recycling and reusing in order to protect the environment.

“During my freshman year, some Earth Club members came into my freshman seminar class and presented the many environmental benefits that come with recycling. They showed us that recycling helps cut down on waste, and greenhouse gases, which helps to manage the climate change,” Gurtman said. “Since then I have always tried to recycle as much as possible and to use a reusable water bottle, and can’t wait to see what they do in the future.”