The Depression epidemic in the youth population

A+metaphorical+photo+that+represents+the+inner+turmoil+within+mentally+ill+students.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A metaphorical photo that represents the inner turmoil within mentally ill students.

Photo By Kristen Spang

Photo By Kristen Spang

Photo By Kristen Spang

Depression is a form of mental illness common in the United States. Many high schoolers face the constant pressure of trying to exceed in school and sports. Alongside this pressure is the overwhelming feeling of trying to fit into a society that does not accept easily and judges harshly. It would not come as a surprise that many young adults suffer from depression.

Depression affects the mind and causes a feeling of overwhelming sadness. It can feel as if weight is on one’s shoulders and can’t get rid of it. In short, it’s a disease that cuts people off from the world. It isolates them and makes them feel as if they are alone and have no one to go to.

In recent studies, suicide has been one of the top five causes of death in adolescents and the rate at which teens are becoming depressed is alarming. Depression can tie directly into why someone might want to commit suicide. Teens usually feel stressed or overwhelmed by the things that are going on around them and they can feel as if nothing is going their way or that there is no point to life. The constant pressure of trying to achieve a perfect standard in the eyes of fellow peers or the community around them has in a way caused some to compare themselves to unrealistic standards. Depression is not something that should be overlooked especially in this valley where we are surrounded by an expensive and high-class society. Not growing up in a wealthy family but living in a valley filled with it can affect people in different ways.

Most don’t seek the attention that they need when they start to feel depressed and will try to bear the weight themselves. This can result in many feeling that life is not worth it and will try to get rid of the pain that they feel. Others will seek help whether that be antidepressants or weekly counseling, these methods can help give people the motivation that they need in order to get through any hard times. If a loved one begins to show signs of depression it would be best to step in and ask what exactly is going on. The sooner someone seeks help the better it will be in the long run.