Keeping the X Games in Aspen

Photo courtesy of Ben Moscono

Students from AHS and other schools around the valley view the X Games from the sidelines.

One of Aspen’s biggest annual winter attractions may be upon its very last year here in town. This is the last year in Aspen’s contract to host the Winter X Games, and the city is pushing hard to keep them here into the future. However, with all the speculation about whether, after thirteen years, Aspen remains the right fit for the ESPN-produced event, and the presence of other potential host cities competing with Aspen, the city along with the Skiing Co. are ready to do almost anything to keep the games here.

“It’s fair to say that it would be Aspen’s desire to have a long, substantial relationship with ESPN, and have [the X Games] remain here,” Steve Skadron, the mayor of Aspen, said.

Four other North American locations are rumored to be pushing to become host of the X Games: Park City Utah, Lake Tahoe, Quebec City, and Whistler Blackcomb.

While these locations have much to offer, and will put up a good fight to host the thrilling winter competition — and potentially gain the four days of enormous coverage on ESPN that comes with it – Aspen has one significant advantage over any competing cities: There are four separate ski areas, all within a short distance from downtown Aspen and all operated by the Aspen Skiing Company. Good skiing terrain isn’t limited to one mountain. While Buttermilk Mountain is essentially swamped by the X Games competitions, visitors to town can ski on the other three mountains without even realizing the X Games are taking place just down the road.

Last year, the X Games debuted their “X Games MUSIC Presents” concert series with a small number free shows, which enhanced the music element of the whole event. With bands such as Calvin Harris and Major Laser performing, some people attended just for the music.

“Part of the X Games is just the whole atmosphere, and music, and special events” freshman, Julia Fahy said.

This year for the 2014 X Games (which will be January 23rd through the 26th), the lineup consists of the bands Axwell and Tiesto, Matt & Kim, and Phoenix. There will also be a short film showcase, style presentations, and other elements that are new to this year’s resume. The more successful this year is, and the more the city of Aspen is willing to comply with ESPN’s requests, the more of a chance Aspen will have a chance of being the host of the games in years to come.

Described by the ESPN website as “an event in which the greatest winter sport athletes compete, with day and evening games including skiing, snowmobiling and snowboarding,” it is no surprise people of Aspen (especially the youth population) would be severely disappointed if the X Games moved to another location.

“I think as a whole, the X Games is very appreciated by Aspen,” Skadron said.

For the tourists who come merely go to the X Games to watch the skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and other events, it may not matter where the games take place, but to us locals, the X Games have become almost like a holiday. A large portion of our valley comes to almost every event on every day, and will cheer on their favorite athletes with as much enthusiasm as they would open presents on Christmas morning. It has become a tradition for many of the people in the general Aspen area (a large portion of them being students) to come and watch the X Games religiously in the frigid January weather. For us to lose the X Games would have as much of an impact on our town as it does on those year’s that fireworks are forbidden on the fourth of July.

“The X Games helps Aspen reach out to the younger members of the community, and I think if the X Games were no longer in Aspen, the youth population would feel great loss,” Skadron said.

Not only would losing the X Games cause Aspen emotional loss, but also as a whole it would be fairly deleterious to hotels, restaurants, and other businesses around the area. X Games weekend is a thunderous time economically, and establishments make millions off of that weekend. By losing the X Games, businesses around the area might face some dramatic changes in the winter seasons to come.

“Although not every single business in town benefits directly from the games, it would surely be a detriment to those that do,” Skadron said.

Not having the X Games here every January would indeed be a change to the winter season, and would greatly impact the social aspect of people’s midwinter. As freshman Nakiri Gallagher-Cave so well put it:

“I think the town would definitely be affected by the loss of business from the spectators, competitors, and sponsors that come to [X Games]. But for us, it’s also a social event, especially students, and even if you’re not actually interested in watching [the X Games you still go to hang out and laugh with your friends. It’s pretty much the only BIG winter event in Aspen that not only attracts tourists, but a large portion of the community too.”