Students Training to be Ski Instructors

There are a plethora of students who enjoy skiing here, but what seems to be overlooked is the opportunity to get paid to teach others what they love. Many students at Aspen High School are involved in the Aspen Skiing Co., but what a lot of others do not realize is how easy it is to be a part of.

Starting at age 15, students may apply to be a pro-assistant in either Snowmass at the Treehouse, or Powder Pandas at Buttermilk. Sure it isn’t a glamorous job, but like any other industry, you have to start somewhere. Each snow season, you can build yourself up and make a name for yourself in the Skiing Co. world.

“I have worked at Powder Pandas since freshman year as a pro-assistant, and now I can finally have my own group! It was not a difficult job, but it definitely earned me respect from the other pros that I started from the bottom and am working my way up,” junior Isabella Courtney-Morris said.

The next step is getting the Professional Ski Instructor of America’s Level 1 certification. Over Thanksgiving break, nine Aspen High School students, including myself, took that step into the teaching world.

It sounds intimidating at first, but it is just a simple three-day course. Day one involves the basic comprehension of teaching skills in a classroom with a small group of no more than 20 people. Day two, you hit the slopes and work in small groups to learn basic teaching skills of simple steps to skiing. Day three brings all prior knowledge to the test, and participants are examined and scored by the leaders of the course.

“I didn’t consider myself a professional skier, but the tasks that we were asked to perform were not too difficult to execute. I was able to pass and now I look forward to being able to teach,” junior Mac Cohen said.

Assuming that you pass with scores higher than an average of four on a scale of six in each task, you will get your PSIA Level 1 certification. From there you are able to lead your own group of kids around the mountain, depending on where you get hired.

But you don’t have to stop there; once you attain the amount of required teaching hours you can go on and move up in the ranks by getting your Level 2 and 3 certification.

Not only is it a manageable job for the winter season during high school, but the Skiing Co. encourages the employment of college students, so you will always have a job waiting for you to come back.

Taking your L1 exam is a simple step for the average skier to get into the business that runs our town. It takes place a few times each ski season and has open enrollment, so go get paid for what you love to do!