September SAT- What’s happening?

Photo courtesy of usnews.com

Multiple choice “bubbles” similar to the SAT test.

On September 23, Aspen High School will host an in person state mandated SAT test for all AHS seniors. The SAT test was scheduled to happen last April, but was postponed due to the Coronavirus. AHS is required to administer an SAT test by the state of Colorado to every grade, usually in their junior year, but Covid-19 has proven to be a large obstacle.
Despite AHS students learning from home, the entire senior class will take the SAT test at AHS, unless they choose to opt-out. AHS is taking many different precautions to ensure that students are safe and that the test is as stress free as possible including the following:
Wear a face covering at all times
Maintain social distancing protocols
Frequently wash their hands and use hand sanitizer
Complete a symptoms survey prior to the test
Students will also have assigned bathrooms, designated entries and exits, and staggered arrival times. For this SAT test, students will also be separated in classrooms by groups of ten.
The College Board, facilitators of the SAT, attempted to make an online SAT test in response to Covid-19, however, the integrity issues could not be solved, so all tests must be in person.
Many colleges and universities have recognized that taking the ACT or SAT has become a challenge due to COVID-19 cancelations and travel restrictions. In response, more than half of all United States universities and colleges are test optional for the 2021 applications.
Storey Balko, a senior at AHS, has taken the SAT three times and has gone to many different towns in Colorado in order to do so.
“The SAT is very different this year. I think it’s both helped and hurt students. It’s helped a lot of students who don’t have strong scores and are applying to schools that have now decided to go test optional. However some schools haven’t gone test optional and it is much harder for students to be able to take the test.” Balko said.
Because some schools are not test optional, and it is difficult to take the SAT during these times, the AHS SAT test is very helpful to students.
Charlie Laube, AHS Post Secondary Exploration Counselor, believes that although Covid-19 has made a lot of changes in students lives, students should go into the SAT test without worry.
“No one score defines you. Remember that the School Day SAT is a state assessment rather than a college admission test. Students should come in relaxed and confident. The best preparation for these tests is your school curriculum. In other words, you already know a lot about what will be covered on these types of tests. Relax and do your best.” Laube said.