High School is Temporary, Books are Forever: One Last Book Review

Collage by Addy Chrisensen
A collection of Addy’s favorite high school memories.

It’s getting down to the last weeks of the school year – time really flies when you’re (trying to) have fun. Many students are buzzing with excitement for the arrival of summer break and are (somewhat) patiently awaiting the accomplishment of completing yet another school year with only minor (weekly, sometimes daily) mental breakdowns. But, for the class of 2024, it’s the end of an era – the start of a new beginning, and many, many tears -or sighs of relief. These senior students are taking their last IB Biology test (thank goodness), getting ready to go to their final prom, and playing in their uttermost high school sports season. This cessation also means this is the last Adeline Christensen article you’ll ever see in the Skier Scribbler. I just absolutely know that you’re sad about that – cue single tear. In commemoration of my book recommendation theme throughout this year, this article is just that, one last book review. But like always, there’s a twist.

There comes a time in everyone’s life that changes them. Whether the outcome is an altered perspective, new experiences, or other, this change impacts the future we ordain for ourselves. For me, high school has influenced my perspective on life and has allowed me to understand what path I want to follow as I move on. Teachers, friends, and experiences have all helped me carry out these realizations, but possibly the most significant lessons I’ve learned (and am still learning) were from books. Here are a few books that have given me the much-needed advice on how to grow, gain confidence in the world around me.

Can I ask just one thing? Don’t just think of these works of writing as ink on dead trees. Think of them as your future, past, and present – and everything in between.

Little Women by Lousia May Alcott

Sophomore year of high school, I made a goal to read as many classics as I could at the start of second semester. Sadly, my dream was short-lived; I only made it through Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, approximately 20 pages of Emma, and Lousia May Alcott’s infamous Little Women. I grew up watching Winona Ryder and Christian Bale dreamily as Jo and Laurie (yes, I cried every time and I still do). I was enamored with the characters completely – for a long time I was convinced I would become the next Jo March. I could be persistent, brave, and (obviously) a brilliant writer. But my obsession never compelled the thought to pick up the actual book. I mean, what could be different from an hour-and-a-half-long movie compared to the 777-page written work? But when I finally did pick it up, that fateful sophomore year, everything became clear. This book is one I will cherish always. The story of the sisters was one that hit close to home, reminding me of my own siblings. I laughed, I cried, I smiled. This book taught me about grief and disappointment and how it is guaranteed to come in life, both in small and large doses, but that can’t stop me from pursuing a dream. Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy taught me to be confident in all my different abilities, to showcase them instead of hiding them away, and to stand up for myself. But most importantly, Alcott’s characters taught me that love is the greatest power of all. Love looks different to everyone, but love always wins.

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

This one is nostalgic for many of you out there – I mean who didn’t read at least one Judy Blume book growing up? I was late to the game reading this one, but it still impacted me in the most interesting ways. Me being me, I also had to watch the movie (gosh, yes I cried, I think you get the theme). This is the story of Margaret Simon, a girl who’s world gets turned upside down by a move. Huh, sounds eerily familiar to my life. As someone who has moved eight times total, I thought I understood what it was like to question everything in life. With this move from New York City to the suburbs of New Jersey, away from her beloved grandmother, city sounds, and the simple life of being a little girl, a whole new world of boys, puberty (ah!), faith, and more opens up for Margaret. Reading this as a high school senior, it was a whole different lesson than it would have been for me in 7th grade. Margaret taught me, much like Jo March, to believe in myself. She taught me to believe in others too. Even when things are hard, I can picture Marget whispering in my ear: ‘You can do this. Look at everyone around you who loves you, and you love them.’ It’s reassuring and something I want my family, friends, and (of course) you, dear reader, to know and keep with you always.

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

This novel by Mitch Albom is one of my dad’s favorites. I admire a lot of things about my dad. He is the one who got me hooked onto 1980s romantic comedies – some of my favorite memories with him have been watching St. Elmo’s Fire and 16 Candles in our basement while ‘trying’ to get homework done and emails sent out. Safe to say we were too busy laughing and crying (again it was me doing all the crying) to be bothered with real responsibilities. Perhaps the most important thing about my dad is the fact that I inherited his loud (really it’s loud) laugh. This book is one that I haven’t had the pleasure of reading myself yet, but rest assured it is on my never-ending (story, 80’s babies, I got you) list. However, many of the most important lessons I’ve been taught in my life by my dad have been manifested from this great written work. This story is about Mitch and his beloved college professor, Morrie Schawtz, as he suffers from ALS. After a series of career disappointments and changes, the two reconnect years after Mitch graduated from college, seemingly on a Tuesday, as the title implies. Throughout the novel, Mitch visits Morrie each Tuesday and they talk of different lessons of life Morrie deems to be of the most importance. To me it seems my dad teaches me at least one life lesson a week like Morrie teaches Mitch. And I know they’ll all come in handy someday, even if I don’t realize it at the time.

Matilda by Roald Dahl

My mother says I’m a miracle (well she certainly thinks it’s a miracle I’m going to college.) This one is also a blast from the past, a “Thursday Throwback” if you will. But you know when you go back and watch a movie, read a book, and you pick up on everything you missed. That’s how I feel everytime I’ve picked up Matilda. Like many of these books I’ve already talked about, it seems I learn something new and perfectly applicable to my life without fail. Matilda has taught me to be a lover of books, which arguably is the greatest truth I’ve ever come to know. Books have changed my life in ways I cannot express adequately through words. Books are the creators, promoters, and protectors of humanity. Of imagination, of childhood, of growing up, of love. And, yes I learned all of this from a six-year-old little girl who loved the library and her kindergarten teacher.

It’s been an honor becoming your trusty neighborhood book recommender. I’ve loved every second of it and hope you, dear reader, continue to read everything. As always, happy reading!