Yearbook: Both a Club and a Class

ASPEN — From class to club and new leadership here is what you can expect from yearbook this school year. Even though there are only 22 people in yearbook this upcoming school season, compared to 25 last year, students and staff are just as excited.  

“Those involved are definitely more devoted,” said editor Caroline Sachdeva. “It makes yearbook so much more fun when the teacher really brings a lot to the table and has a very positive attitude.”

The new teacher is Brittany Hoefert, a middle school paraprofessional. Her students in yearbook spoke very highly of her, and the enthusiasm that she brings to each and every class. She was interested in doing yearbook when her husband, Scott Reed, said he would not be teaching the class this year. Hoefert who worked in the AHS lunch room last year has also taught at schools in England and Chile, and she says she’s ready. She was also a marketing manager in San Antonio and is excited to bring back a business aspect to yearbook.

“I am excited to be running yearbook so I can use my marketing, and business skills again,” said Hoefert.

There have certainly been a few changes.  This year students can take yearbook as a zero-hour class for a business credit or as a club.  It meets Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday at 7 a.m. Hoefert hopes to sell more ads and fundraise so the yearbook does not lose money this year.

“The students are certainly more self motivated, because most of it is individual assignments. They are really great and often doing assignments before I even ask,” said Hoefert.

Yearbooks is also taking a new approach to submissions in hopes of getting as many photos as possible. Students can go to replayit.com and upload photos of social events or athletic games.

Hoefer’s hope this year is to sell a yearbook to 70% of the school. In an attempt to encourage people to buy early, the yearbooks are only $65. However, the price will increase to $70 after Oct. 28. Pre-ordering helps the yearbook staff estimate the number of students who want yearbooks.  According to Hoefert, too many books were ordered last year, and more than 200 books were thrown away. So far, yearbooks have been sold to 35% of the school.

In addition to local business ads there are also student recognition ads (mostly for seniors). Student recognition ads are in the back of the book and are designed by parents, friends or relatives. A full-page is ad is $400 but only $300 if purchased by Oct, 31. Another thing to keep in mind that seniors need to get photos in by Oct. 28.  If their photo is not in by then, there is no guarantee it photo will make it in the yearbook.

Correction: October 20, 2016

Corrected number of students as well as yearbook price have been corrected.