The student news site of Aspen High School

2024 Paris Olympics

Trey Morrissey
An illustration of the Olympic rings.

“Next!” the ticket collector yells and motions for you to step forward. He quickly scans the ticket in your hand and bids a quick “thank you and enjoy the games!” in a still unfamiliar accent. Stepping over the barrier between the outside city of Paris and the stadium, your breath hitches, and your eyes wander. People are conversing rapidly in a hundred different languages but you hear nothing, the shiny new stadium seats, the bright country flags, foreign food, and sports gear all capture your attention. People around you are bursting with excitement, they discuss their favorite events, who they are cheering on, and what they plan to do while in Paris. You can’t believe that you are actually here. For years you’ve dreamed of this moment, to be here at the Olympic Games.

The four-year countdown until the 2024 Summer Olympic Games is almost over. In approximately nine months, the highly anticipated and viewed sporting events will be held in Paris, France July 26th – August 11th. Hundreds of thousands of spectators, athletes, coaches, family members, and friends will flock to the newly constructed Paris Olympic Stadium beginning in August 2024. They will be there to participate, encourage, and watch the renowned world sports competition. Millions more will tune in via streaming services like Peacock TV, NBC, and radio.

The French Government has been preparing for this event since the 2017 announcement of the Paris 2024 Games. Recent initiatives include cleaning up the Seine River, construction of a stadium, and creating new experiential ticketing packages for spectators attending the Olympics next year.

Athletes who are attending the 2024 games have trained an average of 25 hours a week for multiple years. This all in preparation for their shining moment, an opportunity to perform for millions. Over 10,500 athletes from 80 different NOCs (National Olympic Committees) will be competing in events such as swimming, tennis, volleyball, and more. There are a total of 45 sports included in the 2024 Olympic Games. Sports like surfing, sport climbing, and skateboarding, are some of the new and introduced sports being represented at the competition. Fans of each NOC will be cheering long and hard over this three-week-long competition.

The games are sure to be an exciting period and event for all to watch, no matter if you are attending in person or watching from the comfort of home. Here’s to the 2024 Paris Olympic Games!