Top 3 Fall Reads

Addy Christensen
Lots of fall favorites to read at the local book store.

It’s a dark and stormy night, lighting crawls across the sky as thunder rattles the world around you. The wind howls through the trees, blowing leaves of red, green, and yellow throughout the backyard. It’s a wondrous sight, not quite the storm to be fearful about but one that excites. You scan the clouds as they turn the sky gray while mist rises from plants and earth. You think, bed with a cozy blanket and steaming mug of hot cocoa is the perfect place to be. Against the roof the rain patters, seeming more soothing than anything else. At the tap of a button your fireplace turns on, blankets encase you in a snug cocoon, a sigh escapes your mouth as you close your eyes. Soon they snap open, realization setting in. As nice as this is, one thing is missing; the perfect fall book.

Nothing is better, especially in the fall, than getting cozy and cracking the spine on a brand new book. That familiar new page smell engulfs you in worlds beyond your imagination, transports you to places you’ve never been, and illustrates love stories everyone wishes were real. Books encapsulate and correspond to the feelings of each season, most importantly books are key to achieve the ultimate fall aesthetic. There are thousands, millions even, of amazing titles out there, waiting to be read. I know, from personal experience, that it can be hard to narrow down your book list to a couple or even find one book that captures your entire attention. Here are a few of my own and others fall favorite reads to get in the spirit of the season.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E Schwab

Have you ever wondered what it would like to live forever? Personally, I would travel to as many countries as I could, read a million books (obviously), play professional soccer, and who knows what else, the world would be mine. But what if no one remembers who you were?

Through the pages of The Invisible LIfe of Addie LaRue V.E Schwab’s pen transports you to a beautiful little French village and straight into the life of Adeline LaRue, bringing the idea of everlasting life to the reader’s attention. Addie, as her friends and family affectionately call her, is plagued by the idea of tradition and wants to experience the world. But as it is 1714, Adeline realizes there is no way to make a living on her own or even get an education. The plot quickly thickens when Adeline meets Lucifer himself, after running away from her home, her life, and everyone in it. Luc and Addie strike up a deal which leaves Adeline to live for centuries and live out her cursed life throughout the world, ending up in New York City.

The quaint setting, the details of the seasons and places Addie travels through, and imagery give the book an almost cozy feel and connotations of autumn.

This is a perfect read for those who love a dystopian novel with hints of romance and mystery.

The Selection by Kiera Cass (series)

Ok, hear me out. Imagine the Hunger Games combined with the Bachelor with a smidge of Dance Moms and a splash of every Disney princess movie ever made. I mean come on! Let me guess, you’re already sold?

Yep, I knew you would be.

Kiera Cass’s five book The Selection series is an amazing beginner novel for young adult readers or even advanced ones who want a fragment of nostalgia in their lives. The reader follows the journey of America Singer through a lengthy and brutal process entitled ‘the Selection’ from which girls from across the nation of Illea compete for Prince Maxon’s love but also a chance at becoming princess. There is a love triangle, themes of family and friendship, and drama to the max(on). Haha, see what I did there.

This is the perfect binge read for those looking to curl for days on end with cups of tea and a mountain of blankets. You’ll scream, cry, and laugh all at the same time, maybe even (gently as possible) hurl your book across the room.

Wildfire by Hannah Grace

DO I EVEN NEED TO ELABORATE! All Icebreaker fanatics (aka Me), run to your nearest Barnes and Noble, Target, or local bookstore. This new read has been talked about more times than I can count and the day of release has in fact been on my calendar for months.

Author Hannah Grace released her second novel and stand-alone addition to the Maple Hills classic on October 3rd, 2023. Russ Callahangn makes a larger appearance in this contemporary romance and Aurora Roberts makes her own debut. Romance is nipping at the characters heels throughout the book as it follows them from their school UC Maple Hills to their summer camp jobs. Creating an unlikely pair, leaving the reader behind with lots of smiles and giggles.

This book is the perfect new fall release for the hopeless romantic, those who want to transport themselves back into summer, and of course fellow hockey fans.

And there you have it folks, top three books to read this fall. There’s a genre, author, and book out there for everyone. Happy fall and happy reading!