Tops 4 Reads for Your Valentine

Addy Christensen
Addy Christensen gathering research for your reading needs this Valentine’s Day!

Love is in the air, literally. Can you smell that pizza from here, cause I sure can. Ok, on a more serious note the notorious month of February is fast approaching. For those with significant others or just really cute dogs, this is the best time of the year. We’re constantly showered with gifts (some admittedly more furry than others) and compliments are thrown out more often than you text your brother’s hot best friend (maybe he’ll actually step up and be your valentine this year). For those of you without a fluffy friend, partner, or don’t know a cutie who just happens to be a college hockey player, there is a solution to cure all your Valentine’s Day needs. No, no, I can’t magically make you meet your soulmate or send you a boatload of chocolate (although someone could do that to me) on this fateful day of love. However, I can give you a long, long list of books with love interests that make you wish with all your heart they were real.

Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn

Who doesn’t love a good Regency romance for Valentine’s Day, let alone the whole year? The Bridgerton series by author Julia Quinn, is a perfect, feel-good, easy read for your (romance) lover this V-Day. Throughout this eight-book series, you can follow the heartfelt love stories of the Bridgerton siblings, Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, and Hyacinth ( I LOVE BENEDICT…ok I’ll stop now). Duels, secrets (lots and lots), forbidden lovers, and even a treasure hunt.

You’ll be speaking with a (somewhat) British accent by the time you finish these masterpieces of novels, although you might just wanna do that when you’re by yourself – hate to break it to you, it’s not as English sounding as you may think. Keep in mind this series needs to be read in order to truly understand the stories, plot twists, and everything in between. However, my personal favorites are An Offer From a Gentleman (Benedict’s Story): Book 3, When He Was Wicked (Francesca’s Story): Book 6, It’s in His Kiss (Hyacinth’s Story): Book 7, and On the Way to the Wedding (Gregory’s Story): Book 8. Happy reading to those of you who always like the book better than the movies, you others – I know where you live – be sure to check out the series on Netflix (the next season comes out in May…FINALLY!).

The Regency Vows Series by Martha Waters

Regency just gives Valentine’s Day vibes, does it not? I said does it – ok, thank you for agreeing. Yet another lovely, attention-grabbing, and very British regency series for you all is Regency Vows by Martha Waters. With five books in succession, your significant other (I know you read these books too, Bob!) will be busy in the realm of reading for at least a week. It’s easy to lose track of time when you read the sweet and intriguing stories of Waters’ characters.

The series follows the intricately dramatic (and romance-filled) lives of five friends, and one brother in the newest addition. Fake illnesses, undeniable chemistry, house parties, and fierce love triangles make Water’s Regency Vows an unmissable collection.

The Bodyguard by Katherine Center

WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK. Sorry not sorry for that brief moment of utter joy and (a little) screaming from myself. As a bodyguard, Hannah Brooks doesn’t have much time for anything, but she doesn’t mind. She’s a person in whom work consumes them, and her job, well it’s probably the most interesting thing about her. In a brief period of time, everything changes, her mom is gone, her boyfriend breaks up with her, and her annoying (but loveable) boss, Glen has permanently stationed her at HQ in Houston, Texas.

Until him. Jack Stapleton, is one of the most famous actors in the US. And, who just so happens to be visiting his parents just outside Hannah’s Texas hometown. With a stalker on the loose, there’s clearly only one person for the job.

You’re Valentine will love this easy, heartfelt read by author Katherine Center!

Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter

For fans of Say Anything, Bridget Jones’s Diary, 16 Candles, and every rom-com in between, behold Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter. Liz Buxbaum, from the moment she watched Bridget Jones’s Diary, has been a hopeless romantic. Constantly dreaming of the person she someday will call her own. Her own someone who would bring her flowers, make her laugh with just a wink of his beautiful eyes. There was one person that these hopelessly devoted thoughts revolved around. The one who got away, Micheal. He took Liz’s heart with him that fateful day he left, but now he’s back after years of waiting Liz truly believes she can have the life she’s only hoped for.

But getting the boy she’s always loved is going to be harder than she thought. And require some unconventional – at first unwanted – help, from the boy who’s always been there. Sometimes forced proximity and enemies to lovers is all you need to make your day a little bit brighter.

If this is ever made into an actual movie, I have some casting ideas in mind. Directors, I will happily give out my address in case you need to call me in.

As always, happy reading! Remember to send your favorite romance lover a book, tissues, lots (and I mean lots) of chocolate, and some flowers this wonderful V-Day!