The student news site of Aspen High School

Who is Gypsy Rose?

Photo: Courtesy of Investigation Discovery
Gypsy Rose Blanchard and her mom Dee Dee with a puppy.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard, a controversial person and topic, since June of 2015. In Springfield, Missouri, a sudden tragedy took place as Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s mother, DeeDee Blanchard, kept Gypsy under a chokehold of illness. DeeDee was a controlling mother who faked her daughter’s illness for attention, keeping her head shaved, her body in a wheelchair, and not even allowing her to go to school. In the summer of 2015, Gypsy met her online boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn on a computer she secretly bought while away from DeeDee. Gypsy explained her situation to Nicholas and so they devoted their time to create a plan to kill DeeDee. On June 9th, 2015, Gypsy had Godejohn go to her house where she hid in the bathroom. Gypsy gave him a knife and covered her ears listening to the screams.

The case of Gypsy Rose Blanchard rose to fame almost instantly after the incident. Many people took Gypsy’s side, believing she should be freed and not sentenced to her eight years in prison. Others however, believed Gypsy was a murderer and therefore required a more lengthy sentence based on her actions . Gypsy Rose was recently released from her prison on December 28, 2023, gaining a massive following on Instagram. Her and her husband, Ryan Anderson, have received massive amounts of love and attention from their fanbase, however some hate as well.

There have been some demeaning comments under Anderson’s Instagram posts, like “How did this guy pull Gypsy?” causing Gypsy to respond with backlash.

“Ryan, don’t listen to the haters. I love you, and you love me. We do not owe anyone anything. Our family is who matters. If you get likes and good comments, great, if you get hate then whatever because THEY DON’T MATTER. I love you, besides they are jealous because you’re rocking my world every night…yeah I said it, the D is fire happy wife happy life,” Blanchard said.

This comment sent the social media community into a spiral as such a vulgar comment from someone who was just released from prison responding with so much backtalk to the haters. After interviewing students at AHS the vast majority of them believe Gypsy was innocent and deserved less time in prison. Spencer Novak, sophomore girl at AHS, is one of these people, believing Gypsy had no right to be in prison for eight years.

“Eight years is too much time for an accomplice. She was being abused and it was the only way she believed she could escape the situation,” said Spencer Novak.

However, another student, Khira Ferguson, did believe that Gypsy was in the wrong. Ferguson thinks all murder is wrong no matter the circumstance.

“It doesn’t matter that she was abused, it’s sad, yes, but it doesn’t give the right to murder anyone. She wasn’t the murderer either, Nicholas was, but she was an accomplice and planned the murder of her own mother, she deserved the time she got,” said Ferguson.