The student news site of Aspen High School

How to Prevent Seasonal Depression

You probably do if you feel like you thrive more in summer than in winter. The Winter blues is another name for seasonal affective disorder (SAD). A form of depression that has a seasonal pattern that can start in the fall and last until spring. This leaves you feeling sad and low energy. You may experience changes in sleep, eating habits (usually wanting to sleep and eat more), and the desire to isolate.

Everyone experiences that mid-February slump. Everything is gray: your mood, clothes, weather, and life. But it does not have to be that drastic. Especially considering where we are located, a storybook ski town. The best way to avoid seasonal depression is to get outside and live like a tourist. Not a microwave-wearing, big sunglasses tourist, but adding that same excitement to life that these people feel on vacation.

With world-renowned mountains being in our backyard, it is easy to neglect the opportunities given to us daily. Go ski. Get outside and feel the sun on your skin; it will save you. Decreased sun exposure has been associated with a drop in serotonin levels, which can lead to major depression with a seasonal pattern (seasonal depression). Sunlight cues particular areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin. So, you’re more likely to experience this type of depression in winter, when the days are shorter, according to the Healthline.

You will leave the slopes with an excellent goggle tan, and your appearance will improve alongside your mood. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), sun exposure might also help treat several skin conditions. Doctors have recommended UV radiation exposure to treat psoriasis, eczema, jaundice, and acne.

It is common for “Aspenites” to avoid town because of the tourist scene it attracts. But by avoiding it, you miss the heart of Aspen and the events it has to offer. This does not mean you have to splurge at five-star restaurants or browse this season’s collections at Gucci; it can be going to the soupskol pop-up at Wintersköl. This is an event made for tourists. Wintersköl is Aspen’s annual “toast to winter,” dates back to a quiet January in 1951 when locals chose to commemorate Aspen’s mountain way of life with a diverse weekend of events. It is a four-day festival showcasing mountain activities, snow sculptures, a soup contest, a craft beer festival, a torchlight descent, and fireworks on Aspen Mountain. As a bonus, most events are free.

Another option to stay indoors can involve sustained aerobic exercise. They have been proven to affect your mood positively, but you don’t just have to run or do aerobics…You can do things like yoga, tai chi or meditation.

It may feel like the end of the world, but in reality, it is just the end of summer.