Leaders of AHS

This school year, AHS introduced a Leadership class to give the student body an opportunity to have a say in what goes on in the school, the community, and throughout the valley.

This elective was created and is taught by the new IB coordinator, ExEd coordinator, and AHS history teacher Tameira Wilson. She thought it necessary for students to embrace their own leadership style, solve potential problems, and work on communication skills.

“When I took over for Student Senate, I realized that there was really not enough time to get much done during our meetings for thirty minutes before school. This class was ultimately born out of Student Senate,” Wilson said.

The Leadership class is available each semester for any students, but for students in Student Senate it is a requirement.

“Although this is an elective, it is by no means an easy A class, as you would probably expect nothing less from me,” Wilson said.

In the beginning of the class, students will assess the skills that go into being a proper leader, which will eventually transition into problem solving. The students will work to make the school a better place, and even get the community involved. They will be planning community service in the valley, and addressing specific frustrations at AHS.

“This class will more importantly apply to the students’ lives. We are starting to brainstorm top frustrations in the school, which we will eventually narrow down to one frustration to begin with. We will then come up with an action plan and focus on communication and team building,” Wilson said.

The ideas from the class will translate into Student Senate. Eventually, Student Senate will do something with the plan or problem the leadership students come up with. The ultimate focus is to allow students to make decisions and voice an opinion on decisions made by teachers or the administration.

“I think I will gain much more confidence and a better understanding of how our school system operates through this class,” AHS senior Bentley Rager said.

Although many students enrolled in the class originally signed up because it is a requirement for Student Senate, they have already seen how beneficial it will be.

“Initially, I signed up for Leadership as a requirement because I was on Student Senate; however, it is a totally worthwhile, fun class. So far, I’m enjoying the class because it is very unique. I am learning about leadership qualities and I think it will improve my skills overall,” AHS sophomore Harry Kahn said.