Student Jobs Over Winter Break

Senior+Gaby+Magana+poses+outside+Burberry+after+her+seven+hour+shift+over+winter+break.+

Photo courtesy of Bentley Rager

Senior Gaby Magana poses outside Burberry after her seven hour shift over winter break.

While many students at AHS took trips, skied, or just relaxed over winter break, some students decided to get a head start on experiencing the work field. Some students were able to pick up jobs at local business over the two-week winter break period, one of Aspen’s most busy times.

Several students, including seniors Isabella Courtenay-Morris and Bentley Rager, worked on the slopes as ski instructors.

Courtenay-Morris worked as a ski instructor on Buttermilk Mountain teaching private lessons to an eight-year-old girl. Not only did she teach her how to ski, but she also had to entertain the child from nine in the morning until three in the afternoon. Courtenay-Morris said that since both of her parents are ski instructors and she grew up in the Panda House, the job seemed very fitting.

“I successfully moved her up a whole level, which was really exciting. I also loved meeting my co-workers because it was a whole new group of people who were just a little bit older than me, but they were super friendly,” Courtenay-Morris said.

Rager worked as a pro assistant on Snowmass Mountain, helping instructors teach three and four year olds how to ski. She loved being able meet the new kids and spending time outside on sunny days.

“Although it was a lot of work, it was all worth it at the end of the day when I was able to see how much the kids had improved,” Rager said.

Junior Zac Storm also worked on Snowmass Mountain, but doing a completely different type of job. Storm worked at Gwyn’s High Alpine, a restaurant on the top of the mountain, bussing tables and helping customers when needed. Storm took the lift to the top of the mountain and then changed into normal clothes and shoes for his busy day at work. At the end of the day, he would vacuum and clean up the restaurant for the next day.

A few AHS students, including Senior Piper Hamill and junior Nicholas Laughren worked at a local clothing store called Pitkin County Dry Goods.

“One of my main jobs was wrapping items that people had bought. Some days were extremely busy and we would wrap countless amounts of presents,” Hamill said.

Laughren was a runner at the store. He would spend his days at work running back and fourth from shipping to the store, restocking shelves with new clothes and any other items they may need from storage.

“I would do all sorts of miscellaneous jobs, but my favorite part was restocking the cookie tray in the front of the store because I was able to eat them at the same time,” Laughren said.

Senior Gaby Magana worked at Burberry over the break. A typical day at Burberry included making sure the store looked presentable and clean. She was in charge of gift-wrapping items for customers, getting different sizes that were not on the floor, and filing paperwork.

“My favorite part of my job had to have been working with my seven other co-workers and my boss. They were very welcoming and I’m so happy I was able to get the know them,” Magana Said.

Although AHS students all experienced different jobs and opportunities in the work field over the break, they all seemed to have one thing in common; they were able to learn something new while on the job.

One of the many gifts senior Piper Hanill wrapped at Pitkin County Dry Goods before the holidays.
Photo courtesy of Piper Hamill