Learning Out of the Classroom: A Service Trip to Haiti

Haitian kids touch junior Anna Belinskis hair in awe of the color.

Photo Courtesy of Adam Gilbert

Haitian kids touch junior Anna Belinski’s hair in awe of the color.

While snow fell outside AHS classrooms and students studied world wars, eight dedicated teens learned many new concepts outside of the classroom during a weeklong service trip to Haiti. The students experienced new foods, new games, a new language, and how to deal with extreme heat.

“Although we missed a week of school, this was a great learning opportunity. We were able to learn so many different things that we would never be able to learn in a classroom environment,” junior Anna Belinski said.

While the students were there, they visited two schools, one built by the Haiti School Project in Villard and another very poor school on the other side of the town. At the schools, they played with the children who taught them Haitian games, and in turn the Aspen students taught the Haitians some of their favorite childhood games.

“The whole week was amazing, but the best part for me was going to the schools, and unlike our culture, the kids would immediately hold your hand or make some kind of gesture to become friends,” freshman Ricky Wojcik said.

The group also went to an orphanage and visited a hospital that was 99 percent Haitian run, which is impressive within the Haitian medical system.

“Haiti is trapped in a pool of desperation surrounded by a sea of wealth and prosperity with no clear or easy way out,” Adam Gilbert, one of this year’s chaperones said. “The French and Haitian governments have oppressed and corrupted the nation possibly to a point of no return and the U.S. efforts to help have largely fallen flat or made things worst. True change must come from within, but in the mean time continued investment, energy and awareness can’t hurt.”

Any high school student in the valley is eligible to participate in this trip; however it is a large commitment because of all the fundraising and preparation that takes place before hand. This year, the group held a brunch at the Aspen and Snowmass Chapels, held concessions stands at two basketball games, covered the gates and basketball and hockey games, and sold bracelets that the students from last year brought back from Haiti in order to fundraise for their trip. Although it is a big commitment, almost all the kids who went said that it was well worth the work and effort.

“We are definitely planning on doing it again next year and I would encourage everyone to think about going. This trip will open your eyes to the third world, while breaking your heart as you will realize just how good we all have it,” Gilbert said.

The adult coordinators, who put this trip, include Richard de Campo, Charla Belinski, Elaine Bonds, and Tim Meyers. Meyers lived in the Roaring Fork Valley and then moved to Haiti shortly after the earthquake hit. He went down to aid the Haitians and fell in love with the area. He started the Haiti School Project bringing down builders and contractors from the valley to help him teach the Haitians how to build a school in the village of Villard, north of Port Au Prince. He was so moved by the situation that he thought it would be a great idea to bring a group of teenagers down the experience this as well. He sat down with Charla Belinski to explain his idea. Soon, Elaine Bonds and the Aspen Chapel got involved and made the trip happen.

“One morning I, along with a few of the other kids and our Haitian translators, drove into Villard at 5am and watched the sunrise, videoed a Haitian family and their morning routines, and spent some time in Villard touring the Haitian market and practicing Creole,” Anna Belinski said. It was such a great experience!”