New Code of Conduct in Place

AHS+junior%2C+Kyle+Miller%2C+defends+Montezuma-Cortez+player+during+the+first+game+of+the+season+on+August+28th.+The+Skiers+won+29-12.+

Mackenzie Conner

AHS junior, Kyle Miller, defends Montezuma-Cortez player during the first game of the season on August 28th. The Skiers won 29-12.

A new Code of Conduct is now active and it is very different from past years’ Code of Conduct. Large changes were made, mainly regarding what constitutes as an infraction and what the new consequences will be.

“There are now definitive consequences if the Code of Conduct is violated,” said Athletic Director, Jay Maher. These consequences will come from drug use or if a student is caught under the influence or in possession of a controlled substance. The student can then be suspended or expelled from participating in sports for the rest of their high school career.

Maher described the changes as making the code more “black and white,” with fewer “gray areas.” He said that he feels that students will make better decisions with these boundaries in place. He also hopes he won’t have too many talks with students or athletes, and feels he won’t need to. If someone gets more than three violations, and  the problem “seems like an addiction, then we have support contacts in place,” Maher said.

The Code of Conduct, however, does not apply to everything. It only pertains to certain drug usage and trouble with the law, which can get the student kicked out of sports for either a semester, a year, or their entire high school career. The Code of Conduct also states that even if an athlete or student requires marijuana for medical uses, they can still be kicked off of a teams, due to issues with CHSAA regarding the drug. If a student is caught doing something that would deserve expulsion or suspension, such as a fight, then the school handles that, and decides the outcome depending on how severe the episode was.

Maher described the system as an increasing penalty system with up to three points. The first violation will result in athletes being suspended from whatever sport they are participating in that semester. With a second violation, athletes are suspended from sports for the rest of the year, regardless of whether it’s in the first or second semester. The third violation will cause athletes to be suspended from all sports for the rest of their high school career.

Maher also said that the new code will encourage students to think of others on the team.  For example, if they are caught with a controlled substance and they’re the star player of the Basketball team, Maher said that, “You hurt the entire team if something like that happens.”

The Code of Conduct was implemented on August 17th and will be in place until further notice.