Seniors Have One More Semester Left in AHS

Chelsea Moore

Seniors Say Goodbye to Aspen High School Early

You don’t have to be a genius to graduate early, but it does take a lot of extra work and effort. Though many seniors still have one long school year ahead of them, a few will complete their high school career in January.

To be able to graduate early, you have to fill out a special form, write a paper about your intentions during your extra time, and meet with your parents, Mr. Mulberry and Josh Berro to explain why you want to take off the second semester.

“They can’t just graduate early, they have to have a plan, I don’t want them just doing nothing. They have to be having a full time job, taking college courses or an internship.” Berro said.  

He also mentions that this year there are six seniors who are graduating early, instead of the average of  two people in previous years. Berro can’t explain it this year, but it seems there is a group of students who have figured it out.

Senior Ashlyn Gerbaz is one who chose this path. She was not planning to take second semester off until her friend Cameron Stover graduated early last year.

“I am not traveling or doing anything special during my extra time off, maybe some CMC classes and tons of work,” Gerbaz said.

After this semester, Ashlyn will have completed Aspen High School’s twenty-four required credits, and for her, the only downside is taking two English classes currently. She explains that she  is wishing to get into Lynn University, but has to work hard to cover the costs of her dream college.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in Boca Raton, Florida and always knew I wanted to live there. When I visited that school I just fell in love with the campus, people, and the programs they offered.”

On the other hand, senior Drew Altman is not graduating early to work to pay for her dream college, but instead taking a community service trip to South-East Asia. “I am going on a community service trip to south east Asia, specifically to Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, and Laos,” Altman explained. In the beginning of high school she decided that graduating early would be the best choice for her instead of boarding school. Drew was just “ready to move on” from AHS.

Counselor Josh Berro knows of six students taking this route.

“There is one common theme between all those kids and that is they are ready to move on… they are ready to leave high school and enter the workforce, and move on to take college courses,” Berro said.

These students have finished their 24 credits, and may take some college courses if they choose to with their free time. They can still come to school for prom, and visit sometimes. Students are still welcome once they graduate, they just won’t have to go to class.

Though there are many students graduating early this year, it is debatable if that’s the best choice for everyone.

“Second semester of senior year may be optional for some, but you are not forced to graduate if you still need twenty-four credits,” Berro said.

Who knows, second semester of your senior year may be the most fun semester of your life.