New Computer Science Classes

Photo by Vicente Lagarrigue

Freshman Lucas Velasquez writing a shutdown program on his computer

There has been a recent addition to the course of study, and it contains a new class, Computer Science 1. This article will explain the ins and outs of what the class contains and why it was created, as explained by Amanda Martin.

The new Computer Science 1 class is meant for Freshmen and Sophomores (it will be available next school year as a year long elective), and is a dive into the world of programming. On the course of study, it says it will contain writing programs, analyzing data and program design, and using logical data to see how it is represented in the system. There will most likely be much more done as well, since the course of study says that there will be an Introduction to Programming class, so that may also become a class in the future.

An interview with Amanda Martin, who is the current director of the Computer Science section, revealed the motives for this class being created.

“It’s been one of the big incentives of the country that all students need to be trained in computer science, because the world is becoming a very tech heavy world,” said Martin.

She explained that even the government is devoting a lot of effort into making sure students know computer science. They’re pushing to make sure students learn the elements of computer science.

“The goal is that they will know how to do computer science, which includes computer programming. So when they go into the workforce, they’re going to be ready and not behind the curve.”

It will most likely be a recommended class in the future, as it also prepares students in a business background, because, as explained by Martin, “they could whip up a quick program in an Excel spreadsheet.”