Mississippi Students Get a Taste of Aspen

The Mississippi group for their first night in Aspen enjoying time at a concert.

ASPEN — From March 18 to 22, students from Gentry High School, Mississippi came to Aspen. Ten students and two chaperones stayed with six host families. During the five days, the group experienced many new activities and explored the Aspen area.

Leonard Lansburgh started the Mississippi Ex-Ed course about four years ago and is hoping to continue the exchange with the course. He hopes to educate students about the Civil Rights Movement and its history.

“My hope [in this exchange] was to let the kids here recognize what we have and how lucky we are and be aware that there are people that so need a better life,” Lansburgh said. “I think I put together a trip that gave the Aspen kids a recognition of the difference of their lives and the Mississippi kids. And this year I wanted to bring Mississippi kids here to give them the opportunity to see that there is a better future than what they might have thought possible. Their visit to Aspen was a huge success.” 

AHS Senior, Melanie Doyle, went on the Ex-Ed course and hosted two students from Mississippi. She got a lot out of the trip and experienced new things from participating in this exchange.

“The exchange was an incredibly beneficial opportunity for the students of both Aspen High School and Gentry High School,” Doyle said. “Being able to see a very different way of living in our own country is something that really changes your perspective on where you come from. I’m so happy that the students from Mississippi got to experience the same feeling of “culture shock” as I did when our Ex-Ed group visited their town last fall. Being able to create these connections and show them where we came from felt incredible for everyone involved; families, volunteers, our school, and community. I hope that this connection between Aspen and the Mississippi Delta will only grow in the future.”

Sophomore Natoyria Banks explained the highlights of the experience were many.  

“I originally hoped I would learn about how life in Aspen is different from life in Indianola,” Banks said. “I always knew I wanted to leave my hometown, but I didn’t know where I wanted to go. I have traveled to many places but I never felt at home until I went to Aspen. This trip has influenced me to continue to strive hard in school and to attack every opportunity that comes my way.  The best thing about this trip was exploring a state I have never been and participating in activities I can not do in Mississippi, like skiing.”

None of the students had been to Colorado before, and many experienced flying for the first time.

GHS Sophomore, Carledia Jones, shared her experience.

“I originally wanted to have a new perspective,” Jones said. “I wanted a broader view on what the rest of the world looked like outside of Mississippi. This trip has affected the way I view my community and it’s people. Just being in Aspen showed me how different the lives of people are based on their location on a map. The education students receive is better, the economical statuses are better, and the civilians overall attitude about life is generally better in Aspen. So, I think that the best part of my trip was being able to come in contact with and compare the differences.”

Some students said how Aspen helped break them out of their shell and become more outgoing. Others said it humbled them to experience something so new to them.

“Originally I saw this trip as just time away from school, but as soon as I arrived, I was shocked by the hospitality and kindness that Aspen showed us,” student Devin Lyles said. “This trip has truly opened my eyes and gave me insight on how big the world really is. This trip has inspired me to really go out and explore the world. The best part was getting to be friends with each Aspen student, you guys really brought me out of my shell. I never thought I would be able to receive such an opportunity.”

Ronald Ayles, GHS Sophomore, enjoyed the Aspen students, but hated the departure from them and Aspen.

“What I originally hoped to get out of this trip was to become socially active with everyone,” Ayles said. “The best part, I would have to say, would be spending time with everyone and the worst part is leaving. The experience was like a once in a lifetime experience, something that I never dreamed of doing, but accomplishing it. Aspen is the second best in the world.” 

Alexis White, teacher at Gentry High School, gave her students an opportunity to compete with grades, manners and hard work to be able to travel to Aspen. Each student put in a lot of effort to be one of the lucky ten to go on the trip. Ultimately the trip’s mission was to show the students there is a better life ahead should they pursue it, she had said. The major differences between Indianola and Aspen had some Aspenites concerned the visit would create a culture shock for the visiting students, but White offered a different point of view.

“Some people were nervous about that and felt it would be too much for our students,” White said. “But I think that’s kind of asinine, because if my expectation from my classroom is you work hard for your future, how can I possibly ask you to work hard for something that you don’t know exists? So our students, like students all over this country, need to know there are opportunities and options out there, and they need to know you can earn these opportunities through hard work.”