Former AHS Print Shop Becomes Security’s Office

AHS security headquarters

AHS security headquarters

Photo by Tatum Diemer

Photo by Tatum Diemer

AHS security headquarters

The AHS print-shop has been refurbished and has become the security department’s main office. Paul ‘Huff’ Hufnagle, the school’s resource officer will now be based in the former print-shop to become more accessible to the student body.

The administration deemed it necessary to move all aspects of the former print-shop to the library, while repurposing the space to become security’s headquarters.

“We are in fact taking the space and turning it into Huff’s office, so Huff can be more visible and accessible to all students,” Sarah Strassburger, AHS vice principal, said.

The print-shop equipment, such as the copier and computers, has been moved to the library.

“We wanted to make sure that there was an adult who was able to supervise student needs,” Strassburger said, “Our library technically should be a media center, so the computers are now in the library as well as the student copier. That way we can have someone oversee the media center as well as help students with their computers and the copier.”

Students who used to spend time in the former print-shop are now looking for a new spot and some are upset about the situation.

”There were no cameras in the print-shop causing a specific group to spend time in there. This group felt targeted by suspensions and body searches.” Olivia Regan, a sophomore at AHS, said.

Last year the print-shop was commonly known by the student body as an unrestricted area that lacked administrative control.

“Mostly I spent time doing homework in there and there were always others who would mess around,” Regan said. “Someone from the administration would usually come in and tell us to leave or go do something productive. People (in the print-shop) were definitely doing questionable stuff, since it is not supervised by cameras or staff members.”

The change was made in order to help students have more access to the security department, as well as to increase supervision in the media center.

“The goal of Huff’s office is to be central and easily visible when visitors come into the school,” Strassburger said. “There is still work to be done with the space but the idea is for the school resource officer to be visible and be centrally located in a high traffic area, during passing periods and lunch.”