The student news site of Aspen High School

Casino Night for Homecoming!

The Homecoming Dance on Oct. 7 is fast approaching. Many preparations are being made to host this rambunctious event. The AHS sophomore class is in charge of planning the dance . This years theme is Casino Night! So get ready to play some poker and strut your stuff. What you might not know is that several days of gathering materials and teamwork can create a dance to remember. Spanish teacher Alex Reginelli, one of the current class of 2019’s sponsors, has planned this event before.

“We have a certain amount of money to be able to get decorations, rent out a place, book the DJ, and buy food and other things. That’s about what we spend on for homecoming.” Reginelli said.  “Any money we made freshman year from the winter formal goes towards homecoming.”

Homecoming’s budget is predicted on how much money the winter formal makes from the previous year. This can expand or limit the amount of decorations we get for homecoming. Math teacher Josh Anderson, another one of the class of 2019’s sponsors, knows the process of how setting up works.

“We had maybe 2 or 3 hours to set up. We had to think through all the different tasks that had to be done. Which included, putting stuff in storage and clearing exits just in case of a fire.” Anderson said.

The process of setting up a school event like this can take months to plan. Having a cooperative group of students who are dedicated to this project can make it super fun, instead of stressful. Anderson in the past has dealt with cooperative students who really take the lead.  

“I think that the Class of 2019 was very proactive and they got a lot of people to help set up, which puts some pressure off of the class sponsors.” Anderson said.

Teamwork and hours of dedication can prepare an outstanding school dance. Sophomore Tullis Burrows, the class of 2020’s class president and a staff writer for the Skier Scribbler, is excited for what homecoming is to bring this year.

“I feel that homecoming is going to be a great experience for the students who choose to participate.”