Athletic Funding: a breakdown

Photo by Taylor Pattillo

Booster Club posters that hang in the halls of Aspen High.

80% of the Aspen High School student body consists of athletes, all taking advantage of the uniforms, equipment and funding, but few know where this money is coming from and how the money is divided between sports. Chief Financial Officer, Kate Fuentes, offers an explanation.

Skier Scribbler: “What is the annual sports funding and club funding the high school gets?”

Kate Fuentes: “High school athletics receives funding from different sources.  Parents pay a participation fee and often a supplemental fee per sport, [and] gate costs at various sporting events [help as well]. There can also be fundraising done by individual teams for special equipment needs, attending extra tournaments or other specific things related to their sport.  Of the roughly $620,000 budgeted for High School athletics, $416,000 comes from the District’s general fund. Clubs typically have funding from events throughout the year, fundraising, donations, or depending on the club a fee collected for participation. The District does not contribute to funding for clubs specifically as the dollars for these clubs as usually for service projects and are done through fundraising or donations.”

SS: “How is that divided between clubs and sports, and then within the individual clubs and sports?”

Fuentes: “The amount of funding for each sport is driven by factors such as number of team members, game schedules (travel for away games, officials/referees for home games), required gear/equipment, etc.”

SS: “How do local donors such as AEF and the Booster Club effect the funding for sports?”

Fuentes: “The Booster Club is integral in helping raise funds for all of our sports teams-helping to pay for uniforms, end of season banquets, senior rose ceremonies, and other special needs that may come up for our teams.  There is also a large fundraiser for the football team to help pay for that sport’s heavier equipment/gear needs. These organizations and other fundraising is an integral part of the athletics programs at ASD.”

As complicated as the funding process seems at first glance, it can be easily understood through slight explanation. Although all CHSAA sports are funded, do not hesitate to go out and fundraise for your team!