Gift Baskets Bring the Holiday Spirit

Every year, Aspen High School gives back to the community during the holidays. Over the years, the Outreach Club has coordinated a project to create gift baskets for two families in the community, and four families in the school district.

“Being a kid, I am used to receiving presents over the holidays so it’s a great feeling to be able to have the opportunity to give presents to children less fortunate than myself,” junior Jordan Cramer said.

For the families in the district, they are asking people to purchase gift cards in order to keep the families anonymous. People can purchase the gift cards from City Market, Target, or Wal-Mart, and they can range anywhere from $10 to $50.

“I am participating in the gift basket project because I am fortunate enough to wake up to presents under my tree and an amazing holiday meal. By doing this project, it brings so much joy to other children as well as myself,” sophomore Stella Kaplan said.

For the two families in the community, there is a list of gifts such as jackets and toys that people may purchase. Without the help of the Aspen High School, six families in the Aspen Valley would go without presents and food over the holidays.

This holiday season, the Outreach Club has asked that everyone give as much as they can, and open their hearts in order to help six families in the community have an amazing holiday. They hope to achieve their goal by December 6th, allowing the parents enough time to buy the gifts for their children before the holidays.

“I think this project is a great idea, but I think we could expand the project wider throughout our valley. Our school has over 500 kids so I think it would be great to be able to help more than six families,” Cramer said.

In the years to come, the club hopes to continue doing the gift basket project in order to help more families in the valley. They hope this will continue to grow and improve each year so kids at AHS will get the opportunity to help others.

“I am so happy to be a part of this project because I know it will allow other kids to have a great holiday,” sophomore Tess Schaftel said. “And it’s a great way to give back to the community.”