AES New Language Program

Photo by Jordana Rothberg

Photo by Jordana Rothberg

Aspen Elementary School has implemented a new language program designed to improve language efficiency from a young age. After completing the first grade, students are required to choose either French or Spanish. Upon the beginning of the second grade students will continue upon the course and remain with their chosen language until reaching high school. Although this is the first year that the new program is being enforced, school officials are already anticipating a positive change in the Aspen School District’s language program.

“The school board wanted all graduates to leave the school at an intermediate level or above, so they went to the language department to ask how they could get it done. “The only way to get that goal accomplished was to start the kids on a more intensive program earlier,” said AES French and Spanish teacher, Jenny Beltman.  She continued, “Even the research says that this was a good idea.”

AES Spanish teacher Emily Fields shares a similar view. “I think that this has always been something we have wanted. It is most effective in order to increase proficiency,” she said.  She believes that the change in schedule will be a very good thing. “I can already see a change with students who have participated. Their skill level for this point in the year is higher than any other preceding class.”

Both Fields and Beltman have also noticed the program enhancing the students’ sentiments for the language, as well as their ability to speak it. Previously at the elementary school, language teachers would teach students once a week for a longer time period, but now classes are four times a week on a six day rotating schedule, with shorter classes. By teaching more frequently for shorter periods, the students forget less and therefore do not have to relearn old material. It is a continuous cycle of learning, which is one of the reasons the school is seeing such wonderful results. Parents have also voiced the wonderful results they have seen.

“I have had parents approach me, and tell me that they noticed a difference. Their kids are speaking more of their second language at home. A lot of kindergarteners are bringing language home too, and they are sharing their songs and vocabulary. It is great to see students becoming more involved at a younger age. When children start a language earlier, they learn it more easily, and are more likely to keep up with it,” said Fields.

“I have not yet had a single piece of negative feedback,” AES Principal, Doreen Goldyn, said.

Young students are also happy to be given the freedom to choose a language, and also their ability to study it more thoroughly, and sooner.

“I am happy to be taking French. I like it more than Spanish. I don’t have to wait for when I am older to choose,” said a third grade boy.

“Spanish is fun. We have it a lot, but I am learning more than I did in third grade,” another fourth grade student said.

The new language program has received an overwhelmingly positive response from teachers, parents and students and the language department is expects its success to continue.