Winter Words 2019 Preview

Calling all aspiring writers, avid readers, and culture hounds! This year marks the 22nd anniversary of Winter Words, a signature program of Aspen Words that celebrates some of America’s leading authors and brings them to our snowy doorstep all winter long.
A literary non-profit based in the Red Brick Center, Aspen Words’ mission is to encourage writers, inspire readers, and build connections through stories. Between January and March, Winter Words brings a notable author to speak at Paepcke Auditorium for an hour-long presentation. These evenings offer an interesting insight into each of the author’s influences, favorite books, and writing processes.

These informative sessions, which include time for the authors to read from their own works, are often funny, intimate and inspirational. Tickets are free for students ages 14-24 and all educators. AHS students who are avid readers and/or budding writers need only an hour of free time about once a month from 6 to 7pm, and a desire to battle it out for a parking spot at Paepcke on a winter evening.
On January 8th, Tommy Caldwell, world famous climber and National Geographic’s 2014 Adventurer of the Year, kicks off the 2019 Winter Words season. Caldwell, one the most famous big wall free climbers in the world, is the author of the New York Times best-selling memoir, “The Push: A Climber’s Search for the Path.” Aspen local Pete McBride will be leading the conversation with Caldwell, who is also featured in the recently released documentary “Free Solo”.

Novelist Curtis Sittenfeld takes the stage on January 29th.  Sittenfeld is the New York Times bestselling author of the novels “Prep,” “The Man of My Dreams,” “American Wife,” “Sisterland” and “Eligible.” She will be joined in conversation with writer Emily Jeanne Miller, author of the recently released novel “The News from the End of the World.”

Acclaimed novelist Colson Whitehead is next in the Winter Words lineup, making his Aspen debut on February 12th. Whitehead is the author of the moving New York Times bestseller, “The Underground Railroad,” which won both the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and The National Book Award in 2016.

Kate Bowler, author of the memoir “Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I’ve Loved” will be featured on February 26th alongside part time Aspen resident and writer Elaine Pagels, author of “Why Religion” as well as many other books that explore topics relating to religion and spirituality.

Finally, Winter Words wraps up on March 12th with New Yorker Staff Writer Jane Mayer, author of four bestselling and critically acclaimed narrative nonfiction books. Her most recent release was “Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right.”

“Engaged youths are a vital part of our literary community and we are proud to offer free tickets for students and educators to attend the 2019 Winter Words series,” says Aspen Words Program Manager Caroline Tory. “Students have the opportunity to expand their reading lists and their worlds at five events featuring distinct voices and genres.  From the underground escape channels of a Georgia plantation to the granite walls of Yosemite to the dark money-lined halls of power and beyond, each book and event has the potential to take students and teachers to different worlds and spark new conversations. Also, there’s nothing more exciting than meeting an author in the flesh and having your book signed!”

Email [email protected] to reserve your free ticket. Limited quantities available.”    

For more information about Winter Words (and other Aspen Words programs), check out  Aspenwords.org.