Employment: Learning Outside of the Classroom

Courtesy of Diane Godfrey

Work-Based Learning students pose while working.

As a teenager, getting a job is not always at the top of our to-do lists. Playing sports, keeping up with school, and hanging out with friends are commonly seen as far more important or simply more fun than working. In reality, getting a job when you are young has more long-term benefits.

Schools around the country including AHS can teach you literature, history, and math, but not the same social and real-world skills that you get when working a job. Habits such as time management and good organization are extremely beneficial and easy to learn while employed.

Working is also a simple way to gain crucial social skills such as the ability to talk with different types of people. Budgeting is also a skill that employees will learn after receiving their first paychecks. It is never too early to start making money whether you want to just keep extra cash in your pocket or start managing your spending and practicing good financial habits.

Employment requires you to make interpersonal connections that can seriously help with building confidence, something many teenagers struggle with. It helps individuals build character, gain independence, get a newfound sense of responsibility, and proves the teenager’s capability that may make them feel more prepared to tackle what the future holds.

In our valley, there are many opportunities for teens to work a variety of different jobs. Whether you want to do something more casual and freelanced such as baby/pet sitting or something more complex such as working in a restaurant or clothing store. AHS does an amazing job encouraging and helping students find places to work and make accommodations to ensure students can balance school and work. For example, Work-Based Learning is a business program that allows students to leave either fourth or eighth period and actually go into town and work. It counts as a business credit and the only requirements are that you check in with teachers proving that you work at least four hours a week.

Regardless of what your resume looks like, it is always a good time to start building it and getting experience to help you determine what kind of work you enjoy and passions you have. A great outlet and place to go to if searching for more information regarding job opportunities in the valley, would be Vice Principal, Becky Oliver and the Summer Work Opportunities program she has helped make accessible to students at AHS.