Super Bowl Swifties

The Super Bowl has been one of America’s favorite televised events since 1967. NFL teams have been fighting for their spot in the final two to win for 58 years, with some teams winning up to eleven times. Leading up to the 2024 season Super Bowl, there have been many controversies between The San Francisco 49ers and The Kansas City Chiefs.

Taylor Swift has had a noticeable effect on the Kansas City Chief fanbase. Ever since she started publicly dating Travis Kelce, she’s been a star who’s shown up to all of the team’s games. Many dislike that Swift has been taking the spotlight from the players. However, Swift has increased the league’s brand value by $331 million over about four months. The Chiefs have lost many fans due to their uprising supporter but gained many new ones since her first appearance.

An eight-year-old girl, Ella Piazza, has been a swiftie for quite some time. Piazza was aware that Swift would appear at the Buffalo Bills VS. Kansas City Chiefs. Piazza was going to this game to meet Swift and met Jason Kelce, Travis Kelce’s brother, to whom he helped her meet Taylor Swift. “I am going to meet Taylor Swift,” Piazza told all her friends that week.

The San Francisco 49ers were up against the Chiefs after a 34-31-point game against the Detroit Lions. Many fans are counting on Brock Purdy, starting quarterback for the 49ers, to crush Patrick Mahomes, opposing quarterback, and the rest of the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Many people haven’t been 49ers fans in the past, but with their condemned agreements on Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, people have come together to support San Francisco.

Oliver Auvray is a sophomore at AHS with a strong opinion on this year’s Super Bowl and the teams competing.

“I’ve never liked San Francisco or the Chiefs, but I do hope the 49ers take home this win; I couldn’t bear to see the Chiefs and Taylor’s fanbase win this. Real football fans should be excited about their team winning, not a singer’s fanbase,” said Auvary.

This year at the Super Bowl, both teams have a great chance of taking home the grand prize of roughly $157,000 for the winning team. Whether you’re a 49ers fan, Chiefs fan, or a fan of neither, the game will be a great way to spend your Sunday night with friends and family.