The student news site of Aspen High School

How to be sexy on Valentines Day

Photo Courtesy of CDC
A 2010 survey on domestic violence rates by gender and ethnicity.

With Valentine’s Day coming up it is important to remember and support those who have been through or know someone who has been through any kind of sexual violence. The class of 2024 is making their way to college and sexual assault on college campuses becoming more and more common everyone needs a refresher on consent no matter how simple it may seem.

Consent is necessary in every aspect of intimacy whether it is something as simple as a kiss or something more. It is essential to ask your partner if they consent and understand they can change their mind at any point in time. If you hear the word no you must stop what you are doing and make sure your partner is ok.

According to the US Deparment of Justice 1 in 5 women and 1 in 10 men will be exposed to some form of sexual violence while in college, and 90% of those know their assaulter.
Valentine’s Day is known as the holiday of love, but it is also the holiday known for its sex appeal, and with that comes higher rates of sexual violence. A movement has risen with the name of V Day, which gives women the opportunity to rise up against violence of any kind towards women.

Sexual violence in a relationship is a form of sexual violence that is not nearly talked about enough. A 2015 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey showed that 37.3 million men and 43.6 million women in the US reported experiences of rape, violence, or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

Valentine’s Day comes with certain expectations, and one may feel they are obligated to perform those expectations out of courtesy in the spirit of the holiday. Because sexual violence in relationships is so underrepresented, it often goes unreported. You are allowed to say no to your partner at any point in time, no matter how long the relationship is.

It is also important to understand that sexual assault can happen to any gender identity and sexual orientation. Mens and boys who are victims of sexual assault have many of the same feelings and concerns as others who have been sexually assaulted. But they also face challenges when it comes to speaking up due to societal attitudes and stereotypes regarding men and masculinity. It is crucial to remember that gender identity can be a perpetrator and assaulter and one gender can not take the blame.

Many find Valentine’s Day to be a triggering holiday, one that is stereotyped as the holiday of love but can also be a scary time for those who have been victims of sexual crimes. An article highlighting the heighted sexual violence that occours during the holiday. Consent to sex on different days does not translate into consent to sex on all days.”

1 in 3 women are survivors of sexual assault, 1 in 4 men are survivors of sexual assault, and 1 in 2 transgender people experience sexual violence, some recent estimates have found that the average price for sexual assault medical costs, and lost productivity, can be around $127,461 per victim. 3 in 4 sexual assaults go unreported.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse of any kind, help is available, call the National Domestic Hotline open 24 hours 7 days a week, (800-799-7233).