Into The Woods at AHS

Logan Carter

Haver Muss-Nichols and Emma Bouche practicing for “Into The Woods”

AHS has selected Into the Woods as this year’s spring musical. The play is based on Grims Fairy Tales and is about people who wish for something. The evil witch, like villains in all movies, wants her wish, which comes at a price.

According to IMDB, Into the Woods is a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales in a musical format that follows the classic fairy tales like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack, and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel. The Baker and his wife, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel all wish for something they can’t have.

Isabella Poschman is a junior at AHS and will be playing Jack’s Mother in the play. Poschman has been acting since she was 9. Her first role was with Theater Aspen the sound of music AHS has made some minor changes to the play in order to accommodate the younger cast members.

“Story-wise, at least in our show, we’ve added a Woods ensemble that really helps…tell the story more, and add to the pre-existing scenes and music…I guess every show will be different no matter if it’s on Broadway or not just because everyone has a separate vision,” Poschman said.

Garrett Greene loves to perform and he has been in Peter Pan, Guys, and Dolls. Greene began choreographing shows during the COVID pandemic, and this is his biggest one yet.

“Into the Woods is a really cool show that kind of changes and tells these very familiar childhood stories in a different light, and I think it is really kind of cool to see these characters being portrayed in a different way,” Greene said.

Broadway shows are more commanding whereas high school shows have more flexibility for students. In high school productions, students get to add their own flair to it.

“So it’s not really a job. It is more about learning. So that is different [than Broadway],” Greene said.