Top 5 Non-Holiday Songs to put on your Playlist this Winter

Quintessa Frisch
AHS Junior Darienne Kenny listening to “Doses & Mimosas” by Cherub, an essential song for the perfect winter playlist.

There is more to winter songs than holiday music. Let’s face it: when you start listening to holiday music during Thanksgiving, it gets a little tiring by the end of Winter – especially after the holiday season and when the snow here doesn’t seem to melt until May. Nevertheless, as Winter approaches, there’s no better way to welcome the new season than to make a new playlist. So pack up your fall playlist, and follow our carefully selected guide to the top 5 non-holiday songs to make up your winter playlist if you want this Winter to top all the others.

Song 1: Mariners Apartment Complex by Lana Del Rey
With the sun setting earlier and afternoons seeming to be taken over by darkness, seasonal depression can kick in and make you feel lost. However, the New Year offers a time for reflection and a new opportunity for growth and self-awareness. This is captured perfectly in Lana Del Rey’s “Mariners Apartment Complex,” specifically the lyrics:

“Catch a wave and take in the sweetness
Think about it, the darkness, the deepness
All the things that make me who I am.”

If you are looking to take the deepness and darkness of winter and make the best out of it as you can, this song is essential for your playlist. Consider this song and make this season one of self-discovery. Plus, what’s a playlist without at least one Lana Del Rey song?

Song 2: Knee Socks by the Arctic Monkeys
Summer flings can be lots of fun. However, we all know Winter is the perfect time to fall in love. While holiday festivities are much more fun with someone by your side, so are snow activities like skiing, sledding, and building snowmen. If you want a love song to listen to and relate to in the coldness of winter, then “Knee Socks” by the Arctic Monkeys is your song. “Knee Socks” is about falling in love with a girl and is explicitly set in Winter, as seen through the lyrics:

“Well, you cured my January blues
Yeah, you made it all alright.”

If you want to get through January, the coldest month of the Winter, our advice is to listen to this song. Much like the girl talked about in the piece, it will be your cure. Arctic Monkeys scream ‘winter playlist,’ but If this song is not up to your liking, then “I Wanna Be Yours,” “Do I Wanna Know?” and “505” are equally good options.

Song 3: Ceilings by Lizzy McAlpine
If you are looking for a much calmer song after listening to “Knee Socks,” Lizzy McAlpine’s “Ceilings” is the perfect option. “Ceilings” also focuses on the topic of love, but through the lens of a dreaming teenage girl – let’s be honest, this is probably more relatable to you. With the below-freezing weather, Winter is a cold and uncomfortable season, as hinted at through the lyrics:

“You’re kinda cute, but it’s raining harder
My shoes are now full of water
Lovely to be rained on with you.”

Replace ‘rain’ with ‘snow,’ and it’s perfect. Through the distress of Winter, finding someone to help you through these cold months is key. However, as tempting as cuffing season is, we both know this isn’t as easy as it sounds. If you can’t seem to find someone to make it bearable, just put this song on repeat, and you’re halfway there.

Song 4: Doses & Mimosas by Cherub
Sure, getting cozy and sentimental is a common theme throughout the holidays, and one by one, we all fall victim to cuffing season at one point or another. But once the holiday season is over, and all those winter break flings crash and burn, what do we have left? That’s right, Aspen’s favorite winter event: the X Games. Buckle up because the weekend of X Games is always one to remember, and what better way to celebrate than with every frat boy’s favorite song: “Doses & Mimosas” by Cherub?

“Something’s gotta give soon
Or I’m gonna lose it
Substance abuse it
And never come down, down
Fall off the deep end
And forget my English
What’s the point of language,
If you don’t say what you feel”

The winter season after the holidays tends to get a bit gloomy, so having hype songs is essential during the colder months. Other notable party songs to scream this winter break are “The Thrill” by Wiz Khalifa, “Cola” by CamelPhat and Elderbrook, and “The Spins” by Mac Miller (before any of you try to argue that it’s a summer song because it talks about graduating; you’re wrong.)

Song 5: You’re So Vain by Carly Simon
“And all the girls dreamed that they’d be Ben’s partner, they’d be Ben’s partner.” What are you doing if you haven’t seen How to Lose a Guy in 10 days? While not particularly a winter movie, after all the hype set around it last December, it’ll always hold a special place in my heart during the cold months. When reflecting on a failed relationship, “You’re So Vain” compliments “Doses & Mimosas” perfectly. While it remains a winter classic in my world, if that winter fling turns into a failed summer fling and it happens to play during August, I won’t tell anyone.

“You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror, as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they’d be your partner
They’d be your partner and
You’re so vain
You probably think this song is about you”

The callout with the last line, “You probably think this song is about you,” remains one of the coldest verses to this day – I applaud Ms. Simon and thank whoever broke her heart. Thanks for taking one for the team – we all owe you one.

While these five songs are a good starting point for the best winter playlist yet, there are countless other options if these don’t quite complement your taste. A few honorable mentions include “New Year’s Day ” by Taylor Swift, “Everlong” by the Foo Fighters, “Blue World” by Mac Miller, “The View Between Villages” by Noah Kahan, and “Starman” by David Bowie. If this flawless list is still not good enough for you, then check out the actual playlist!