A Small Band with Big Plans

Everything is set up; the drums are on the stands and our music binders are open. Eight students, including myself, feel the excitement as the game is about to begin. As people start arriving, we become aware that there will be a huge audience. With our oversized coats keeping us warm, the AHS band plays the song “Zombie Squirrels”  at the high school football game.

As a member of the band, I know that even though we are small, we have an exciting year ahead of us. The most important factor is change. For the football games, music teacher Mr. Heldt decided to turn us into a drum-line, which means having to learn the basics of percussion. This is something new for almost all of us which makes it fun and exciting at the same time. Mr. Heldt has given us the opportunity to explore the wonders of playing a different instrument.

“It’s not really something I’m used to,” baritone saxophone player Fernando Ruiz said.  

Another change this year is that we will be recording multiple instruments to make our small band sound larger than it is. For example, I will play and record my part on the clarinet and the other members will do the same with their parts. After we get everything recorded, we will put the recordings together and our band of ten students will sound like a band of 20 to 30 students.

Also, we are hoping to start traveling as a band. In April, we are planning on going to DisneyWorld. This will give us a chance to broaden our horizons,  show off our musical talents nationally, and have fun at an incredibly magical place. It will be a great opportunity for the band members who want to pursue a career in music.