Cultural Changes in EX-ED

Cataract+two%21
Steve sands
Cataract two!

Experiential Education (Ex Ed) is a privilege Aspen High School gifts the students and staff every year. Starting in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. AHS yearned to design an opportunity that created community and GRIT within the school. According to the general information slideshow, “Experiential Education is a style of teaching where educators purposefully engage with learners in direct experience and focused reflection to increase knowledge, develop skills, and develop people’s capacity to contribute to their communities.”
Ex Ed used to be something that every student and staff member looked forward to and was the best part of the school year. In years past students could not wait for this experience, and be inpatient to go. Unfortunately, as the years pass, the magic is disappearing in regard to behavioral issues, unwillingness to participate, and lack of respect. Ex Ed 20203, there was an increase in usage of alcohol and nicotine.As a senior in highschool who has gone on three seeds I have noticed a decline in excitement and ability to participate.
On top of the disobedient acts on Ex Ed, multiple kids attempted to receive a doctor’s note dismissing them from the trip just days before their group left. People have attempted to get false COVID tests and fake other injuries to get out of the trip.
It is a sad reality that Ex Ed is not what it used to be. All courses come with a sense of fear now. The staff now spends too much of their days bag-checking and breaking up the conflict that arises on the trip. The strong bond that is supposed to come from these trips has turned into chaos.

Haylen Gonzalez-Pita is on the Ex Ed committee and attended AHS as a student. She has noticed that the negative aspects of Ex Ed are talked about more than the positivity and culture it creates.

“I think that the narrative around, as it said, has shifted. I think it is the same program in many ways, but it seems that we hear a lot of the negative aspects and a lot of the negative stories. However, in reality, the majority of students who have participated in Ex Ed had a positive experience. They did not have any issues with cell phone or drug use, and it seems like the negative aspects of Ex Ed have been discussed more than the positive aspects. I do not necessarily think that Ex Ed has become more negative; I think it has been talked about more negatively,” Gonzalez-Pita said.

Ben Clark is a senior and believes in the importance of Ex Ed.

“It should not be taken advantage of, and it is a time for community and not a place for drugs and alcohol,” Clark said.

The culture change is evident for both staff and students to see. The complaining and reaction to change can continue, or the school can work together in order to attempt to solve this issue. There is no simple solution to an issue this big, but as someone who loves Ex Ed, a drastic change needs to be made.