The student news site of Aspen High School

Sustainable Appliances you can Invest in that can Lower your Freshwater Usage

The extra use of freshwater can lead to higher findings of natural and human pollutants. When less water goes down the drain, there will be more water in lakes, streams, and rivers. There are many ways someone can reduce their freshwater usage, but the most effective way to reduce how much water you use.

Miele
One of the many brands that are aiming to become more sustainable is Miele. The company has already become carbon neutral, and aims to make their entire chain carbon neutral by 2050. 100% of the metals Miele uses are recycled. Miele claims that you can expect a 20 year service from their products. Miele’s prices tend to range from $1,000-$17,000

SMEG
SMEG is another eco-friendly company aiming to produce eco-friendly products that have both style and functionality. SMEG makes an almost 100% plastic-free coffee maker, while their drip coffee machines and espresso machines are made from stainless steel, which is easy to recycle. Smeg also complies with the EU RoHS and REACH standards, which restrict the use of hazardous materials and chemicals in manufacturing. SMEGS prices range from $100 to $18,00.

Dualit
Dualit is a sustainable brand that offers eco-friendly food appliances such as coffee makers, toasters, kettles, and many other food prep items. Their products are made with recyclable stainless steel, and their packing is sustainably made.
Dualits prices range from $100 to $370.

Beko
Beko is an eco-friendly company that takes on a rather odd approach to a sustainable fridge. The BioFridge™ Fridge Freezer features parts made from sugar cane, eggshell waste, and soya oil. Other products of theirs, such as their ovens, are made with recycled fishing nets and water bottles. They are also responsible for the first washing machine that has a built-in filtration system that wascancan catch microplastics. Beko’s prices range from $669 to $3,848.

SodaStream
SodaStream is a brand known for turning non-carbonated drinks into carbonated ones, but what many need to know is that SodaStreams help to replace single-use plastic water bottles. By using their reusable water bottles, families can save 3,000 disposable water bottles from getting out by using their reusable water bottles. They also have a goal of getting their SodaStreams to be made from either recycled materials or plant-based materials. SodaStreams prices range from $100 to $195.

While all of the companies aim to become environmentally friendly in the coming years, it is up to the public to change from unsustainable appliances to ones that keep our planet happy and healthy.