Fresh-men

Nathaniel Karbank

The front doors rest before the impending flood of the 2014-2015 year Freshman class.

Freshman: A university student in first year, similar to a newcomer or novice. The etymology of the word Freshman dates to the mid-late sixteenth century, around 1590. However, for the current Aspen High School students, the word Freshman has a meaning that will literally take on a meaning of its’ own.

The incoming freshman grade, or ninth grade as it may be according to the formal definition of the word freshman, will surely bring surprise to the AHS system. Many current Aspen Middle School eighth-grade students claim to be excited for the opportunity to enter the high school.

AMS eighth grade student Nick Tran said, “I think it’s cool to be coming to a school that’s been around for a while, which my sister and cousin’s have gone to.”

For other AMS students, the experience seems daunting. One student expressed a nervousness because of the intimidation factor of some of the high school students. Many current and past AHS students have been there, walking in nervously on the first day of school intimidated and fearful of what’s to come.

“Coming from Aspen Country Day School, it was an incredible change both socially and academically; socially, I was essentially entering the school with strangers. Academically, I felt like this year at AHS was very do-able. I kind-of psyched myself out, and I assumed it was going to be a lot scarier than it actually was, and it was not very stressful,” AHS current freshman Harry Kahn said.

Of course, the freedom of AHS may aid in alleviating stress for some students, as the responsibility may also exasperate stress.

When asked if she was excited for the responsibility of the AHS, AMS eighth-grade student Mya Lewis said, “Sure.”

Really, freshman year is an experience we define as a period of learning and trying new things, and of coming of age and into our own. Our dated middle school world transfers into a kaleidoscope of blooming possibilities and opportunities at AHS. Some of the eighth-graders may take on academic challenges, while others will focus on athletics. Other students might pursue arts and/or entertainment. It is our responsibility as a school and a community to support the aspirations of these young, impressionable, and developing minds, and hopefully guide them toward their respective goals as they continue to develop themselves. As the seniors and the graduating class of 2016 wave goodbye, we are certain of one thing: the freshmen are coming.