Flamingo Event: Go to A Go Go

Photo courtesy of aspenaef.org

Flamingo A-Go-Go will take place Friday, December 5th, at the St. Regis.

As the first snow of winter covers the mountain tops, big plastic, pink flamingos start appearing in random locations around town.  While these birds seem slightly incongruous in Aspen in late fall, most people know that they symbolize the lead up to Flamingo A-Go-Go, the annual benefit hosted by the Aspen Education Foundation (AEF), which raises money for the Aspen School District.

This year, the event takes place on Friday, December 5th, in the ballroom of the St. Regis hotel. With an expected attendance of almost 500 parents, teachers, and students, it is projected to be enormously successful.

The AEF is the private fundraising arm for the Aspen public school system.  Since its inception in 1991, this nonprofit organization has been responsible for raising a portion of the Aspen School District budget.  Steep cuts in state funding for education have made it necessary for the community to rely on private fundraising through the AEF to maintain many programs and teaching positions.  The AEF fully funds the AHS college counseling department, pays the salaries for some learning specialists, and is the reason why the school district still has a music program.

Melissa Long the AEF Executive Director, has orchestrated Flamingo A-Go-Go for the past three years.  “Over the course of each school year, the AEF is counted on by the school district to raise $400,000,” Long said. ”Over the last several years, the Flamingo event has been able to net all of that money in one night.  So, it is a really important event, and it is really crucial to keep our programs going.”

Each year, the Flamingo has had a different theme. Last year, the theme of the event was homecoming. Parents and teachers dressed up in cheerleading uniforms and letter jackets.  The ASD band also performed.

“It was really playful.  People love to dress up,” Long said.

This year, the theme will be “under the big top” circus.  Attendees can dress as lion tamers, or strong men, however, it is also perfectly okay to come dressed as a regular spectator. As in previous years, Flamingo will raise money through ticket sales and silent and live auctions.

Student performers from the jazz band, school band, and AHS choir will also participate in the event.

“Student participation is crucial in this event,” Long said. “After all, the Flamingo event directly benefits them, so it makes sense for the kids to be present.”

It is no small feat to host a party for 500.  Flamingo organizers rely on a battalion of hard working parent and student volunteers to make the evening run smoothly.

“We have an incredible amount of support from our volunteers who have worked tirelessly to obtain great auction items and set up beautiful decor,” said co-chair Kathryn Becnel.

Senior Caroline DeRosa has volunteered for all three years of her high school career.  She plans to volunteer yet again in December.

“I know that the AEF benefits both my school and me,” DeRosa said. “I am more than willing to dedicate my time to AEF.  It’s a very relevant cause.”

Although there is a plethora of more than willing volunteers and contributors, many community members are wondering if the controversy at AHS over the newly implemented scheduling and policy changes may have an impact on this year’s turnout for Flamingo.  While this is a seemingly pressing issue, ticket sales for the event are still purportedly on schedule.

“AEF has nothing to do with any kind of policy or decision making and we can’t do anything about it.  I know people are frustrated with some of these decisions and I also know that way to express that frustration is to donate less than in the past,“ Long said. “However, recently Dr. Maloy, the staff, and the Board of Education has worked to address some of these problems.  Hopefully people will feel better about the school decision making, and feel more comfortable donating.”

Regardless of  the recent changes at AHS, Long is still confident about the upcoming event.

“Flamingo is a good chance to go out, have fun, and be philanthropic,” Long said. “It’s not just sort of this vague, philanthropic organization, it’s really for the children.

Tickets for this year’s Flamingo event can be purchased at the door for $195 or online before the event at aspenaef.org  for $175.   Additionally, there is a reduced rate for educators.