Snow Fest 2015

Nathaniel Karbank

A poster highlighting Snow Fest community values is hung at the bottom of the red staircase.

This years Snow Fest will be held on Wednesday, February 25, and will include the opportunity for students to go ski and snowboard on their favorite mountain, play in Coach K’s annual Nauset Ball tournament, and enjoy a Hickory House luncheon with a prize raffle.

Ski Day has frequently been one of the best days of the year for many people. It is praised for the enjoyment that it brings to the students, along with a unique esprit de corps that allows an entire community to function freely and with harmony, rather than the uniform routine affiliated with a regularly scheduled school day.

“It’s relaxing to be able to take a break from school and enjoy a day on the mountain,” Sophomore Tyler Turchin said.

Senior Ryer Gardenswartz noted that Student Senate’s goal this year is to bring the school together and to practice teamwork and unity. This year there has been a theme of inclusion, as well as building lasting friendships throughout the school, both during school hours and after.

One example of this was last Friday’s “No One Eats Alone Day,” encouraging people to make new friends.

“I’m excited to go skiing with all of my friends and watch the nauset ball tournament.” Freshman Tyler Clayton said. After being asked about his specific terrain preference, he mentioned that he likes the park although he prefers big mountain as well as powder skiing.

Friends gather around in excitement throughout the day, betting about the raffle and which team might win the nauset ball tournament. This year is projected to be the last year that Coach K will be able to referee and organize the event due to his resignation.

“Like many years past, this will be the biggest and most exciting nauset ball tournament in the history of the school,” Coach K said. “I am hoping that this will continue even after I retire at the end of the school year. We need to keep this great tradition going as nauset ball is truly the unofficial sport of Aspen.”

He later spoke to the logistics of the event, adding that, “We’re looking for eight teams- eight full teams- of ten players each. One hundred dollars entry fee per team, and of course that all goes to charity. The championship is going to take place after lunch on ski day in the afternoon, so we have to have all signups that morning.”

The tournament is single elimination and its bracket is structured like the NCAA March Madness tournament. Coach K said that he is looking for big plays from Tristan Niskanen, Rennie Tucker-Meuse, Trey Robinson, the soccer players of AHS, and Evan Patzold- among many athletes.

Aside from some students that choose to stay home for Snow Fest, this year’s event is set up to be one of the alleged best- ever.