Belly Up

Belly Up

In a small town where nightlife consists of mainly bars and clubs that do not allow those of us who are underage in, there is not much to do past 9:00 P.M. beyond going sledding or attending a small get together at someone’s house; rarely does it get any more interesting than that.  As a teenager, the underground music venue is something we do not know about , that indeed, we can all go to.

A live music show is one of the most special experiences in the world.  It allows a person the chance to really learn something about music, and the different place that is the musical world.  At our own venue, Belly Up, it is even more special than the average show.  Because it is such a small venue, it does not matter where you stand.  Even if you are not in the moshpit, you are insanely close to the stage, something you cannot find at other venues.  The speaker system is of the highest quality and the dance floor is top notch.

Most live music venues do not allow anyone under the age of 21 into their shows, which is another reason why the Belly Up is so different.  I began attending shows there when I was in eighth grade, starting my love and deep appreciation for live music.  When we have the chance to go to shows as high schoolers, we really should.

AHS sophomore and Skier Scribbler staff writer Harry Kahn attends Belly Up shows often and believes that all students should go when they can.

“I really enjoy going to the Belly Up because it’s always a fun experience.  The bands play close up and the atmosphere is always relaxed.  The musical lineup is incredible for such an isolated town and I end up seeing a lot of my favorite bands in a really small, personal venue.  I think that kids in Aspen should definitely try and go to the Belly Up as much as possible because its a unique experience, and is much different than everyday life.  It gives kids a chance to expand intellectually and artistically,” sophomore Harry Kahn said.

David Goldberg, the son of the first owner and today’s co-owner believes that having high schoolers attend the shows is an amazing thing.

“I think it is very important to allow high schoolers in.  Myself and my friends were fortunate enough to do so when we were in high school, and I know how much the experience meant to us.  It was really special for us to grow up with Belly Up here,” Goldberg said.  “From my experience, those who have attended live shows from a younger age have more of a diverse appreciation for music itself, and don’t feel that a concert is a simple party.”

In the next few months Belly Up has hired an array of acts that our age group is welcome to attend.  Odezsa, electronica duo, performed on February 20.  Over the course of the next few weeks Government Mule, Umphrey’s Mcgee, and Lyle Lovett will be making a stop on their national tours at the Belly Up and in the end of March, Cold War Kids will be performing, most likely drawing a huge crowd to the club.

Goldberg is excited about all of these upcoming acts and talked about the musical aspects they offer.

“There really isn’t a venue quite like us, in regards to having a small capacity/intimate venue with the level of production we do and most importantly with the acts that we regularly have coming through (many that sell out venues 20 + times our size),” Goldberg said.  “The beautiful thing about music is it is really a combination of many different forms of art.  Poetry, live performance, showmanship, musical talent itself in playing instruments, etc.  You don’t need to be very knowledgeable in music to appreciate, enjoy, and learn from live music.  You don’t even have to be a certain age.  All you have to do is show up, have an open mind, and enjoy.”

With these experiences so easily accessible and available for high schoolers, we should take advantage immediately.  Grab a ticket and take a trip down to the Belly Up one weekend.  Experience the beauty of live music and enjoy a good show: there is plenty coming our way.