Reader Spotlight: What Book Are You Reading?

English teachers are always encouraging students to read, read, read and read. Studies  prove that reading expands your vocabulary. Unfortunately, some kids pick up the first book they lay their eyes on, and they “pretend” to be reading during SSR time. However, These students and math teacher enjoy reading for the sheer pleasure they get out of an engaging page turner.  If any of these books spark your interest, give them a try! Samples are available for free on iBooks at the Apple store or at our very own library eBooks.

Laura Wolf      

Freshman and Skier Scribbler Journalist.

Book: Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Calahan

Genre: MemoirFullSizeRender.jpg

What is it about: This story is about a young journalist who suffers from an autoimmune immune deficiency called anti NMDA receptor encephalitis. After a whirlwind of different symptoms, she finally finds herself hitting rock bottom. The memoir takes the reader through her journey of suffering and recovery.

Why do you like the book? I have always liked memoirs because they are real and you can get a glimpse of something you wouldn’t experience in your own life and I think you can learn a lot from different people.

To whom would you recommend this book? Someone interested in going into the medical field. They talk a lot about the brain and diagnosing her disease. Also people interested in mental illness vs physical illness.

What made you pick up the book? I hadn’t read a memoir in a while and I thought the cover was interesting. I also liked the title and the subtitle.

Katia Galambos

Sophomore

811wT2-uD8LBook: Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Genre: It’s realistic fiction, but takes place maybe 7-15 years in the future.

What is it about? A recent recession has moved Clay Jannon, who was working in web-design, onto the night shift at Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore. Near the front, mundane customers can find a few copies of popular books, but the back shelves carry arbitrarily ordered books that Clay is forbidden to peek at, which draw in the oddest characters imaginable called “members.” As Clay tries to unravel the mystery, every visit from a member leaves him more puzzled.

Why do you like this book? I like this book because 1. It time travels in a very real yet unsettling way. 2. It is written the way we think: in connections. and 3. The narrator himself doesn’t have very many opinions, which makes the oddity of the other freakshows of characters and his situation all the more interesting. He’s not very observant, so you have to fill in the holes yourself. It’s a mystery novel, but isn’t written like one.

To whom would you recommend this book?I recommend this book to people who enjoy Kurt Vonnegut. People who like lots of adjectives and comparisons that make you laugh out loud.

What made you pick up the book? We’re reading it for book club, and also I’ve heard a lot of good things about it on internet book sites!

Rosie Rushing

Senior

Book:Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Genre: Young Adult

What is it about? It is about a girl named Cath who writes fan fiction. As they begin college, her twin sister Wren, abandons her. The fan fiction is the only thing that got them through their mother leaving them. However, Reagan, Cath’s roommate, has a boy who keeps coming around to see Cath.

Why do you like the book? I like the book because it is romantic, but there is also a full plot.

To whom would you recommend this book? Mostly girls would enjoy this book, especially because of the romance aspect.

What made you pick up the book? I picked this book because I read her other books and really enjoyed them.

Megan Noonan

Math Teacher

The Boston Girl by Anita DIamant

Book: The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant

Genre: Historical Fiction

What is it about? This is the story of 85-year-old Addie Baum, told in an interview with her granddaughter. It is a   sweet tale of a time when Addie’s family was new to the country and she was the only one to be born in the US out of them all. She was born in Boston before the first World War and, being Jewish, she didn’t have it as easy as many others would. This is a great story of family, friendship, career, and love.

Why do you like the book?  I really liked this book because it felt like you were right there talking to Addie and re-living her life.  Being a historical fiction novel, I felt as though I was really understanding the time Addie grew up in.

To whom would you recommend this book?  I think anyone that enjoys reading historical fiction would enjoy this novel.  It has the history of early twentieth century Boston, early feminism, and friendship and love.

What made you pick up the book?  I read this book to participate in my book club discussion.