The Importance of Student Involvement

AHS is no stranger to change. Whether it be differences in the schedule, cafeteria food, or staff, the AHS community has become expert at adapting to the constantly evolving culture at our school. Most of the time students are willing to accept the changes with a shrug of their shoulders but why or how the changes occurred are questions often left unanswered for the student body. My involvement in the hiring process of one of the biggest changes this year at AHS, new Tharyn Mulberry, has opened a door to newer, stronger, relationships between administration and students that I feel is necessary to promote positive student involvement at AHS.

Luckily I got the opportunity to be on the hiring team for the prospective principals. At first I was hesitant, questioning whether or not the whole team would listen and take into consideration the students’ input but I was happily surprised with the overall result. I feel like the administration really tried its best to incorporate the students’ opinion into their final decision. Whether it be in the in the little groups we split up in to for discussions about the candidates or talking in front of the whole committee, I know myself, and all of the other students were comfortable enough to share our opinion and really feel as if it was being taken under consideration.

As a student I feel like a lot of the time our education is being decided by people who don’t really know us. It makes sense in the way that they are specialists and specifically hired to do their job which is to construct our education path but sometimes it can feel, as a student, that you are just being clumped with everyone else and no one really cares. High school education is hardly a personalized thing, so the fact that students are now being allowed to help weigh in on important decisions at school can help with the feeling of involvement.

Before this committee I will be honest when saying many parts of the administration scared me. Although the people who make up the administration are much more foreign to students than the teachers we see everyday, they still want the same thing for us, which is the best possible education we can get. It was apparent during the hiring committee that everyone was really trying hard to work together to get to the best possible outcome for the students. Sometimes it is hard to see the purpose behind decisions when it’s something like taking away tutorial but I achieved a more sound mind after experiencing first hand how the administration and faculty re trying to make the school a better place for the kids.  

It is crucial for students to feel involved in their education because some of the decisions that happen at school can affect the rest of our lives. We want to make sure we have the best and most capable people leading us and teaching us so we can get the most out of our education. Allowing students to be more involved, like having students on the hiring committee, will further our interest in being involved in the future. Hopefully this will increase school spirit and also make sure that students feel like they are working with administration and teachers rather than against.