Field Day Through the Freshmen’s Eyes

Freshmen Sophia Chase had many expectations for Field Day, but going home with egg on her head wasn’t one of them.

“It was what I expected (…) a day full of fun and games and teamwork,” Chase said. She went on to say, “I got a couple of eggs cracked on my head which kind of ruined the whole thing for me, but I think that if it hadn’t happened, it would have been really fun because I was having a lot of fun before that.”

Just as Chase supported with her expectations and reality of the day, teamwork is a big attribute to Field Day that helps students get to know one another. “I met a lot of new people that I had never even seen at school before and I did make a couple of friends. I think it was a good experience,” Chase said.

According to freshman Tate Randel, teamwork can also help bind the grades together. “Throughout the day, all the upperclassmen were very nice. It was equal throughout the team,” she explained.

Even having the upperclassmen blend well with the freshmen wasn’t enough to restrain the freshmen from being at a disadvantage. “We won three out of the nine games (…) I’m ok with it because I had a lot of fun. It was only my freshmen year so next year I’ll know more about it,” she said. She thought that being a freshman inhibited her from knowing some factors of the day including the costume contest and that there was the option to have music in their skit.

While freshman were at a disadvantage, team 16 A.K.A 16 and Pregnant almost were as well. The school said it was inappropriate that they were called 16 and Pregnant. However, according to Libby Reagan, a freshman and member of the team, they were able to continue the fun and games.

The fun and games are of course a competition. The competitive aspect of Field Day insures a winning team. That team was B, the Bench-Warmers. The games that the champion team won include pictionary, tug of war, ultimate frisbee, soccer (against Q, the undefeated team at the time), kickball, capture the flag, and the championship game of dodgeball. Juna Rettig was a member of group B. “I was happy but I didn’t really touch the ball the whole winning game because I suck at throwing,” Rettig told about her team’s final win.

Now that the freshmen had the opportunity to know what field day is all about, they won’t be the ones lacking experience for years to follow. We will have to wait and see what next year’s freshmen class brings to the day of fun.