Seniors and Juniors Stress over the Upcoming Standardized Tests

Upperclassmen are scrambling for tutor time, and traumatized with the piles of other homework and college applications. Even sophomores are already studying for the ACT, whereas others may not even be aware about what this exam is and its importance. There is also the SAT that students can consider, as well.  Underclassmen recently took the PSAT, and the testing frenzy made me wonder when we should actually start preparing for these nationwide tests. So when is the right time to begin studying, and how do you get started?

When should you begin studying?

Tutor Candice Clauss believes that students should start preparing for the ACT the summer before junior year, though starting in the fall usually leaves enough time. Clauss usually tutors around twenty-five students per studying season, and currently most are seniors. By January, though, her students are mostly juniors. Clauss believes that the average time needed to prepare may be eight months, so starting early is key.

“My goal is for a student to be done with the test by the end of junior year,” Clauss said.

Some people begin studying for these standardized tests as early as freshman year.

Sophomore Livvy Clauss has been studying since the end of last year. She wants to get a satisfying score early, so she doesn’t have to deal with all the stress over the next few years. Her mom, Candice Clauss, helps her prepare at home with a preparation book.

“As of right now I have only been preparing for the ACT, and am thinking about the SAT,” Clauss said.

Senior Kelsey Fitzgerald started taking the ACT last spring as a junior, but it wasn’t until this summer that she started to crack down and study once a week.

“I was studying to give myself a better chance of getting into the schools I was looking into, and also be eligible for some of the merit scholarships,” Fitzgerald said.

She got tutored weekly, and was on a schedule of taking one practice test before each tutoring session. The last ACT she took was the national test on October 24th.

“All I can say is I’m glad I’m finished!” Kelsey laughed.

How should you study?

Candice Clauss uses practice books, copied tests, and websites, depending on what the students need.

“It is challenging when seniors have to study for the ACT, study for SAT II tests, fill out applications, write college essays, and study for their regular classes all at the same time,” Clauss said, but that is why she is there to help.

Tutors are not the only option. Many students choose to prepare on their own- taking either a review or prep course or using study guides and books. ACT or SAT preparation should involve taking as many practice tests as possible, according to mycollegeguide.org.

If you suffer from testing anxiety, taking a practice test — in a timed, realistic environment — will help give you the confidence you need to alleviate your worries and doubts,” mycollegeguide.org explained.

Mark Greenstein from Ivy Bound, a site offering online test prep courses,  gives some easy advice.

“During the summer, read! Too few kids read for pleasure, and it hurts when it comes time to take the verbal section of the SAT.

With or without a tutor, balancing standardized tests, college applications, and the usual workload can be tough. Seniors, juniors and even underclassmen are beginning to prepare for the upcoming tests using whatever strategy they think will work best to stay ahead.