Action In Africa

Photo courtesy of Caroline Moriarty

Caroline Moriarty with 2 students, Carol and Joan, right outside of the Center in Uganda, earlier this year.

Action in Africa is a non-profit organization put together to help Nakuwadde, a small community in Africa with things like supplying clean water, disease testing, and better education. Science teacher Sarah Benson and four other girls make up the board of the club that was started by AHS student Sarah Nininger in 2007. The club has many goals to further aid Nakuwadde this year.  

Sophomore Caroline Moriarty is one of the five board members who has specific plans for this year. She wants to help out with launching a garden program, focusing on growing a garden to supply more food for the children. She also wants to increase the Women to Women group, which is a counseling program for women to talk to one another. She also wants to significantly increase the uses for money from the Muganda bracelets. The Muganda bracelets are handmade by the children in Uganda, they are sold here to raise more money. Another plan is to continue giving free HIV/AIDS testing and haircuts.

“I would love to raise awareness for Shakil, one of the children that Action in Africa supports, in his struggle against a walking disability, and hopefully get him to be able to walk for the first time ever,” Moriarty said. “We can help the people of the village not only stay in school or have shelter, but survive by raising money in order to run the “Action in Africa Center” in Uganda.”

They are also focusing on sending about thirteen students to Africa. The students will be chosen based off of their hard work and dedication to the club. The ones who show the most passion will get to go on the trip.

To raise money and supplies for the trip, the club holds many fundraisers, such as a College Football and March Madness Bracket Tournaments, Aware Week, School/Art/Athletic supply drives, and most of all, selling their Muganda bracelets.

“Action in Africa strives to educate, inspire, and empower the community of Nakuwadde, Uganda,” Moriarty stated, “through school scholarships, extracurricular activities, numerous workshops, counseling, and individualize fundraising.”