New Sign In System at the Library

Junior Melody Lempke signs in at the library front desk.

Olivia Oksenhorn

When students walked into the AHS library on October 26th, there was an obvious change in the environment. Instead of simply being able to walk in and pick up a book or casually make their way to their favorite table to study, they were asked to sign in on the school computers at the front desk, and fill out a short survey. This new protocol was designed and implemented by AHS librarian Jennifer Cook, in order to ensure student safety and gather data on how students are making use of their time in the library.

One of Cook’s main reasons for installing the sign in/out system was that she felt “nervous” about not knowing which students were using the library in case of an emergency such as a lockdown.

“We’ve had two emergency drills so far this year, and I’ve had absolutely no idea who I am supervising. It makes me nervous for liability reasons,” Cook said. “I’d prefer to know who I am responsible for…beyond that, Mr. Bangley has come up here a couple of times looking for people who are ditching, so we kind of like to know that too. ”

Aside from safety concerns, Cook is also interested in making the library “a better place” and more constructive for students to spend their free time during the school day. By asking them how they are using the library upon signing in, she intends to gather information on how most of them are using the library, and what areas of the facility she can expand and improve upon.

Although Cook has certainly been encouraging students to sign in and out of the library, she is still striving to keep the library an enjoyable place for students to spend time in.

“I’m not making a big deal out of it. I’m mainly trying to get an idea of numbers, and how people are using the library,” Cook said.

Overall, students appear to be complying and signing in and out of the library according to Cook. When she is in the library and able to watch students, she asks them to please take a minute and complete the process. However, some students have speculations about whether or not being asked to sign in and out is actually effective.

“I think it’s good in theory, but kind of difficult to enforce,” senior Nic Vitari said. “The librarian can’t monitor at all times, so some kids just walk in. I actually know some people who sign in as other people. So it’s up to the kids to take responsibility, and we all know how that goes.”

Although it is certainly an extra step for students to take, Cook has tried to keep the process as short as possible. She has put out multiple computers to ensure that students will not have to wait in line to sign in, and has tried to make the process as “quick as possible.” Cook also stressed that she absolutely did not want this to prohibit students from using the library, and that she still encourages everyone to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

“The previous librarian warned me not to do this,” Cook said. “But I think I can do this without making people hate me, because it’s still a nice place to hang out.”